When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your High Sierra or Sierra - all years welcome

-
It looks like the first three digits are "172" but then they put the rivet right over the last digit. But from what's left, it could be "4".

HBCU_Cropped.png

You tell me about the badge. I can't read any of it, but I can say that the frame is welded - not fillet brazed - and that the joining was done by a very good Taiwanese welder.

I am in the process of doing a full service on my 87 High Sierra. After taking off the freewheel I found that my rear axle is bent. It is a QR 136mm L x 10mm Dia. It has a sealed bearing set up, so no cones, just flanges on the axle. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement or happen to have one they would be willing to sell? I am going to check with my LBS, but they don't open until Tuesday. I just need the axle, the rest of the parts (including the bearings) are in good shape and can be reused.

IMG_0089-L.jpg

IMG_0091-L.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. If bend not obstructing QR skewer or other mechanical function, then I don't bother. Maybe ask LBS if fix with axle vise.
It rode fine prior to disassembly. Only issue I can identify is the bend is enough that the bearing will not come off. The inner side is open, so I can still clean and re-grease the bearing. I will see what the LBS can do on Tuesday. Thanks!

What rims/hubs are on your High Sierras? My 87 has a Maillard Made in France front hub (with possible date code stamped 1 14 87) laced to a Kinlin Made in Taiwan 26 x 1.5 rim, and out back there is a JoyTech A87 sealed bearing hub laced to an Araya Made in Japan 26 x 1.50 rim. Definitely 2 different style rims.

I see some of you have mentioned that your Sierra/High Sierra have Araya rims. Not sure which one, but I am leaning towards the rear wheel/hub having been replaced at some point.

FWIW it has a 6 speed Shimano MF-Z012 freewheel.

Front
IMG_9387-XL.jpg

IMG_0099-M.jpg

Rear
IMG_0100-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back