When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your High Sierra or Sierra - all years welcome

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It looks like the first three digits are "172" but then they put the rivet right over the last digit. But from what's left, it could be "4".

HBCU_Cropped.png

You tell me about the badge. I can't read any of it, but I can say that the frame is welded - not fillet brazed - and that the joining was done by a very good Taiwanese welder.

I am in the process of doing a full service on my 87 High Sierra. After taking off the freewheel I found that my rear axle is bent. It is a QR 136mm L x 10mm Dia. It has a sealed bearing set up, so no cones, just flanges on the axle. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement or happen to have one they would be willing to sell? I am going to check with my LBS, but they don't open until Tuesday. I just need the axle, the rest of the parts (including the bearings) are in good shape and can be reused.

IMG_0089-L.jpg

IMG_0091-L.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. If bend not obstructing QR skewer or other mechanical function, then I don't bother. Maybe ask LBS if fix with axle vise.
It rode fine prior to disassembly. Only issue I can identify is the bend is enough that the bearing will not come off. The inner side is open, so I can still clean and re-grease the bearing. I will see what the LBS can do on Tuesday. Thanks!

What rims/hubs are on your High Sierras? My 87 has a Maillard Made in France front hub (with possible date code stamped 1 14 87) laced to a Kinlin Made in Taiwan 26 x 1.5 rim, and out back there is a JoyTech A87 sealed bearing hub laced to an Araya Made in Japan 26 x 1.50 rim. Definitely 2 different style rims.

I see some of you have mentioned that your Sierra/High Sierra have Araya rims. Not sure which one, but I am leaning towards the rear wheel/hub having been replaced at some point.

FWIW it has a 6 speed Shimano MF-Z012 freewheel.

Front
IMG_9387-XL.jpg

IMG_0099-M.jpg

Rear
IMG_0100-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back