When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your klunker pics here!

-
Great looking Klunker's guys. Time to join the fun. This a Rocket I put together in the early 80s? Correct me if you see a part that was not made then. When did U-brakes come to be? That should date it. I actually bought the bike in the 70s.
Any way I built it a long time ago and it just rides great. Its an old friend.

102_6052.JPG

.....and then I found another stock bare frame and fork. Put all the stock parts, I took off, onto it.
So here it is, somebody painted over, but a nice deep maroon. My Klunker (above) still wares its orginal paint. Touched up here and there for the add-ons. U-brakes and cable stops etc.

102_6054.JPG

Thanks for the help dating my build, you guys know your bikes.
I also found this info on Sheldon's site.

"In 1986-88 there was a fad for equipping mountain bikes with U brakes mounted underneath the chainstays. This provided a nice clean look to the seatstay area of the bicycle, and provided a somewhat simpler cable routing. In addition, as the chainstays are larger and more rigid than typical seatstays, the "problem" of flexing of the studs under load was reduced. Conventional cantilever brakes cannot be mounted on the chainstays, because they would get in the way of the cranks"

So my guess of early 80s was a few years off. So much for accurate memories.

Last edited:
Great looking Klunker's guys. Time to join the fun. This a Rocket I put together in the early 80s? Correct me if you see a part that was not made then. When did U-brakes come to be? That should date it. I actually bought the bike in the 70s.
Any way I built it a long time ago and it just rides great. Its an old friend.

View attachment 1614021
This thing is not only gorgeous, it's providing inspiration to a build I'm doing up in my head. I have no money for new hubs, so I'm going to use that U Brake setup. I couldn't bear to weld canti / v studs to the seat stays, but this is much easier to stomach. I also like the way the derailleur claw sits inside the dropout. I've never seen it done that way, but since I'm cold-setting the frame for the 135mm freehub anyway, why not? Is that an alloy seat post?

Is that an alloy seat post?
Yes sir, I have found the Monark Rockets seat post to be .855" in diameter. So I take 7/8'' 6061 Aluminum bar or heavy wall 6061 aluminum tubing (in this case) and turn it down. The lathes tail stock has to be dailed in to turn a constant diameter over that length, ask me how I know?

Last edited:
Back