When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your rattle can paint job

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Maybe someone else has given this advice out and I just never saw before . You can get excellent results from a rattle can if you heat your tap water as hot as you can get it . Stick can in water for 10 minutes or so . When you hit trigger it'll spray so nice . Also any rattle can paint can be decanted and shot through air gun . I have even used nail polish w/ reducer of course with great results . I hope this helps somebody . Michael / Dodgerblue ...

Maybe someone else has given this advice out and I just never saw before . You can get excellent results from a rattle can if you heat your tap water as hot as you can get it . Stick can in water for 10 minutes or so . When you hit trigger it'll spray so nice . Also any rattle can paint can be decanted and shot through air gun . I have even used nail polish w/ reducer of course with great results . I hope this helps somebody . Michael / Dodgerblue ...

I've used that technique for years with model cars. I always boil water so it doesn't take as long to heat the can--just don't walk away and forget about it or part of your kitchen will be a different color! V/r Shawn

1940 Schwinn B

The red B model not the Streamliner. Done with Dupli-Color dark red lacquer. Nice tips on that brand.

f7c21115bbd2e2fc956d1461a99a2853_zps7wmb-1.jpg

this bike was painted with lacquer car spray can paint even the pin-striping was done using spray cans and masking tape.

Ariiiiight........HAD to chime in on this one. About 10 years ago while travelling to upstate NewYork to buy a bicycle collection with Tiny Timmy B, we were at an amtrak depo in I THINK Syracuse NY when I spotted a clean Red Phantom on Craigslist. Being the gentleman that I am, I ordered Tim to pack the Amtrak load up carefully and to 'make it quick' while I zipped up the hill to look at this red Phantom. Well the Phantom belonged to Rick and it was really just a killer orig bike, had to buy it and another red Phantom Rick had as well. On my way out, Rick stopped me and said......"Hey check this out!" So we went down into the basement/shopspace of his house and there against the wall was this Streamliner. The bike blew me away. It LOOKED like an NOS Bike. Not a 'resto' at all but a NOS original bike. In fact, Rick didn't say anything about restoring it at first, and simply asked what I thought of the bike. I asked him how he found such an UNTouched Original bicycle that truly looked NOS from 5 or 10 feet away. Rick then pointed to a shelf on the wall where several empty cans of spray paint were lined up. The tools of the trade. The bike was a MIND blower. I had never met Rick before, but explained to him how many 'restored' bikes I'd seen at shows, plus done a number myself and how what HE had accomplished with those spray cans, what few could even do with auto-quality products. I don't know how many people I told that story to over the years but it really stuck with me, and thanks to the CABE got reaquainted with Rick a couple of years back. This bike has to be SEEN to be believed! Totally nailed a top quality job with the 'cans' man!

Last edited:
I strayed from the can...now I'm back

A while ago, I decided that I needed to paint this bike this color. I don't know why now, but anyway. Paid 115.00 for a pint at the auto parts store. They explained that the new reds are expensive. Well, right after I'm done, Rustolium came out with the color in their annoying high end 6.95 cans. I usually clear coat w/ a urethane any way. Expensive lesson learned the hard way, of course.

P1010030.jpg

This whole topic leads me to ask a question.
When your buying a Restored bicycle does it matter to you the amout of money you will pay for a bicycle if it was restored with rattle can paint? Even if it looks really good?
Would it upset you if you bought a bicycle that had been restored and later on you find out that the bike had been painted with rattle can paint?
From some of the paint jobs I have seen it looks like it would be hard to tell the difference.
But what does this do to the quality of the restoration? Quality of the paint? I know you can get quality paint in a can and even have custom paint mixed up and canned. but is there a difference in the longevity of the paint job from rattle can to spray gun?
JKent

I'm a Dupli-Color fan from way back. But am pissed off at them for down sizing their cans. no tiny ones either now, just one size and nail polish size bottles!!!!!!!!!

This whole topic leads me to ask a question.
When your buying a Restored bicycle does it matter to you the amout of money you will pay for a bicycle if it was restored with rattle can paint? Even if it looks really good?
Would it upset you if you bought a bicycle that had been restored and later on you find out that the bike had been painted with rattle can paint?
From some of the paint jobs I have seen it looks like it would be hard to tell the difference.
But what does this do to the quality of the restoration? Quality of the paint? I know you can get quality paint in a can and even have custom paint mixed up and canned. but is there a difference in the longevity of the paint job from rattle can to spray gun?
JKent

It always matters how much you pay for a bike. What matters more is asking the right questions, and getting the right answers. Not vague answers, or the run around. Honesty is the best policy.

Back