When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your rattle can paint job

-

Sped Man

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Have you repainted a bicycle with a rattle can (commercial spray paint)? How did it come out? Please post photos and what paint you used and what we should avoid. Any tips? Any brands of spray paint we all should avoid?

VintageSchwinn.com paint.
Love the pre matched colors. Wish it was a bit harder of a finish.
vu5ygeje-1.jpg

I learned many a tip from a few members (Buster, Bricycle & Djshakes)

Your paint is only as good as your surface. Sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand. You get the idea.
Heat helps the layers bond, so working in a hot day or allowing it to cure in warmth helps.
I do about 3 coats, 5-10 mins apart.
The first layer isn't heavy, just a tacky basic cover.
Make sure your rattle can tip is clean for even spray.
Make sure you have enough paint to finish the job.
Enamel paint without clear coat is the most original finish to vintage.

Last edited:
I have to do a repaint...

On an Evans interceptor 100 girls bike for my nephew. It will be for his girlfriend. I really do not like to paint, everyone that know me here knows I like original paint. But I have to do a pink and white cancer awareness theme on this one for her. Thank god this bike does not have nice paint to begin with. I will be using krylon watermelon pink on the frame and fork. I'll keep y'all posted. Rob.

VintageSchwinn.com paint.
Love the pre matched colors. Wish it was a bit harder of a finish.
vu5ygeje-1.jpg

I learned many a tip from a few members (Buster, Bricycle &

Your paint is only as good as your surface. Sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand. You get the idea.
Heat helps the layers bond, so working in a hot day or allowing it to cure in warmth helps.
I do about 3 coats, 5-10 mins apart.
The first layer isn't heavy, just a tacky basic cover.
Make sure your rattle can tip is clean for even spray.
Make sure you have enough paint to finish the job.
Enamel paint without clear coat is the most original finish to vintage.

Nice job Nick-thecut. Thanks for the tips.

Rattle canned

I've been liking some of the Rustoleum satin colors that are fairly new. They seem muted, period & match the patina'd chrome better than a high gloss. You can also gloss them up w/ clear coat.

P1010035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back