When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Postwar Front hub lock nut

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Interesting. These findings very educational. Out of curiosity, I flipped my front wheel to see if any offset. And there was!
First pic centered, second pic not centered around 1.5mm or so. But locknut is nondrive side when wheel is centered. So I need to put locknut on otherside.

Yeah, that's the lock spacer they started using post-war on the Schwinn lightweights. I believe they started in the 1950s or early 1960s some time. My 1947 and 1950 Schwinn 3 speeds have locknuts on each side. My 1960s 3 speeds have the toothed spacer. I actually kind of prefer the spacer, but the locknuts seem to work fine. The locknuts do take a little more care in that the cones have to backed into the nuts a bit to lock. But it's not a big deal. I actually like the English solution of a shouldered axle best, but it wasn't adopted by everyone.

Last edited:
Interesting. These findings very educational. Out of curiosity, I flipped my front wheel to see if any offset. And there was!
First pic centered, second pic not centered around 1.5mm or so. But locknut is nondrive side when wheel is centered. So I need to put locknut on otherside.

View attachment 1552666

View attachment 1552667

Is the crown race supposed to be that way on that bike? It almost looks like there's a recessed area for the crown race but the race is up above that.

I think the fork might be from a different silver king. The cup inner diameter 37mm and race OD 38mm. I replace with 36.5mm OD race and now the fork headset spins nicely and snug down good.

The last pic is with 36.5 race spin nicely. I think normal looking now but will loop @ratrodz into this thread for any thoughts. He has more SK knowledge than me!

@J-wagon I’ve seen different lower races used on a bunch of the Silverkings. Never thought much about it. Some had a shim and some didn’t, some were a little taller etc. Interesting… makes you wonder.

A couple of pictures from a Schwinn Service Manual

show a locknut on each end of the front axel.

Back