When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Postwar womens tank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ADReese

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Educate me on postwar womens tanks. Are the womens frames all the same? Im looking for a tank for a 1950. I think I need the dx style as the bike uses the dx chain guard, but can I swap in the other style?
Thanks in advance!

20180401_095422.png

The top one, ?552A, 'feather design' for your 1950.... The lower one with vents toward bottom saw use beginning about 1953.

With they both fit my frame if I stumble across one? Im not real picky on this bike, just wanted to spiff it up a bit.

Last edited:
They're not 'all the same' That is; the catalog you're showing of 9552 and 9553 A are the same 'fit'. However, these would also fit Schwinn's middleweights, post 1955 or so b/c the top and bottom tubes are the same distance. But, a big butt as in butt head. Schwinn excluded the cross bar in later middleweights, moved the rear bracket back about 3/8" with a little twist. That rear bracket smacks right into the cross bar of earlier models so, you can not mount it on earlier frames. .

I think you'll be safe with the DX feather, 9552A Yet you'd think this starlet tank with embossed lines would tell? :
1953-schwinn-starlet-tank-horn-girls_1_0475e2f0e4e700f52fc5400d75e55aa1.jpg

but, beware; the newer version should have an extra bracket off the rear bracket with a screw to chinch down into the bottom bar but, I can no guarantee it's a sure tell. . Both nearer and older come in all flavors chrome, embossed, 3 gill 4 gill, flat standard, one color 2 color etc. . This example, below, is the newer and has the extra tab to chinch it into the bottom bar. However! Other than that, it's identical to the Starlet tank above except, it's chrome, 2nd photo below. . PLUS they come in chrome and painted too. The major difference is not just the added cinching bracket, the rear bracket has an slight twist, changed angle, and there is absolutely no way, without removing, repositioning and welding it back on to fit earlier girl's frames with the cross bar.

Inside
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT98mXwdYpayH8Hc6OOgnDrdOH7IVD05LB4wjKyO4QgS1Gx1sOq.jpg

Outside:
d0577c5fa140e07f45a0d21346145eed.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this would work or if it’s what you’re looking for but I found it for sale on a FB site
ff7e568f2c331fc06cc305e12114dbd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually looking for a really nice black and ivory one, but I was trying to not make this a wanted post. The bike is extremely nice and deserves a really nice tank. Thank you for keeping an eye out though :)

20180402_112524.jpg

I'm actually looking for a really nice black and ivory one, but I was trying to not make this a wanted post. The bike is extremely nice and deserves a really nice tank. Thank you for keeping an eye out though :)

View attachment 781708

Really SHARP, very nice, HIS and HERS!!!! Now, place a WTB "Wanted To Buy girl's tank in Black & Ivory" @ the WTB forum of this site; and. let's she what shakes out...!

Thanks! I usually don't go for ladies bikes, but this one was the same color and same year as my Hornet. I couldn't resist pairing them together. Now to find a tank, rack and light so she isn't so plain.

Back