When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powder coating

-

Dirtvelo

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a 1940 schwinn that came to me with really bad paint, after stripping, there is a couple of places that are pitted, can you powder coat or chrome over pitting

Haven't done it myself, but SOP is to use a first coat of powder coat as filler, and then another coat for the finish color. I am hemming and hawing about this for a cushion tire project so did some reading.

Powder coaters sandblast and use a special filler and Chrome shops prep the parts before chroming to make them smooth.
If you are doing it yourself start sanding or grinding til its smooth .
If it's really deep then you will need filler .
Even if you are taking this to a shop the more prep you do the less time they will have to spend on it saving you cash .

This summer I bought a rough rattle can 51 strightbar Schwinn. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I did remove some paint from the fork and downtube and seen it was very pitted. So I thought I would get it blasted and coated which I have never done before. The frame also had a couple of dings. So for 140 out the door they blasted it filled and powder coated it and I super happy with it! Now I just need to finish it 😏

Yes, JB Weld is what powder coating shops use.
They must regulate the oven to a slightly lower temperature, though.

JB Weld is the best thing since canned beer. Plastic body fillers are soft and often lift out of small pits. I've been using J B Weld for years. It's great for filling pits and small dents on frames. It sets super hard and strong, yet sands easily to a smooth and even finish.

JB Weld is the best thing since canned beer. Plastic body fillers are soft and often lift out of small pits. I've been using J B Weld for years. It's great for filling pits and small dents on frames. It sets super hard and strong, yet sands easily to a smooth and even finish.
It doesn't work on face wrinkles.

Back