When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

powdercoat gone bad

-

Hukah

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi gang.
I hope I can lean on the group once again to help me determine the best course of action.
I recently acquired a 1946-47 CWC/Roadmaster 226WH.
It had been powder coated but the finish is "crazing"/cracking (It should be visible in the pics).
I want to know if I should
1) keep the powdercoat finish on it, prep/rough that up and overcoat it with enamel, or;
2) remove the powdercoat and prep for a new finish.
Obviously removing that finish is going to be a chore that I'm really hoping to avoid, but I've got a feeling I already know what the best course to take is, I just want to hear it from someone wiser than myself, lol.
I'd really appreciate some "been there, done that" advice.

Thanks for your help.

raodmaster 226 b.jpg

You might piece it together for that rider that is less-attractive to bike thieves; and find another project bike for your more-immediate labors.
Perhaps a delay, leaving this project on back-burner, to be resumed only after your other bikes in better initial shape/condition are done.

Last edited:
I really can't tell to much from those pictures, but if it is cracked I sure wouldn't paint over it. Maybe rebake it for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. J/K

Most important thing to know about using paint stripper on powdercoat--must use a stripper that has Methanol in it. Scuff that paint first with agressive sand paper grit(80 would do). apply stripper, be patient--should come off (2-3 applications perhaps)

That photo is, so not in focus, nobody could possibly give an opinion of what to do with it. Just looks like a blurry rusted thing a-ma-jig. So, if that's the problem, rust bleeding through the paint? U could get the rust out of paint with dollar store, cheap toilet bowl cleaner and then decide how or what to do with it. . Before you do anything though, especially ask advice, take clear photos. [wink]

That photo is, so not in focus, nobody could possibly give an opinion of what to do with it. Just looks like a blurry rusted thing a-ma-jig. So, if that's the problem, rust bleeding through the paint? U could get the rust out of paint with dollar store, cheap toilet bowl cleaner and then decide how or what to do with it. . Before you do anything though, especially ask advice, take clear photos. [wink]
I know. I have to get to the optometrist soon.
Between my eyes being bad and the phone image being small and badly lit I'm lucky if the bike is even in the image. ;)

Back