When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-1910 Iver Johnson

-
Hi Otis! -Welcome to our group!
as crusty as the two reflectors may seem, they are probably worth some decent bread.
If you wana ride her, find a pr of 28" Raleigh wheels for her, or a pr of 700 series wheels/tires. Or of $$ not an object a pair of Noah Stutzman wood wheels.

Last edited:
7F6FE1A1-6602-4A6B-9880-4FB258BB9B08.jpeg
52E6B9A1-F299-4540-A850-98854B713865.jpeg
Hi All,
Thank you for taking the time to look at the many photos and your advice about the IJ. I’m not sure if that’s a crack, but if it is it is very tight and not deep, which I guess is good. Please see the additional pictures.
My friend John Williams (who posted above) and I will look it over better. I’m ignorant as to most of this stuff but have learned a lot from John and just reading through different threads here.

What about using the current rims, even though not original? What tires would I need? Would the spokes be strong enough?

Hi everyone. I have taken apart this IJ. There is no frame crack and the crank is not rubbing as it turns out. The serial number is 150268, I have found some info on this on CABE. The owner thinks 1905. Any opinions? It is cleaning up well. I need to know what kind of tires to buy, will any 26 x 1 3/8 non-Schwinn tires fit these rims? And I may have some upcoming questions about taking apart the crank....

P3300309.JPG

P3300310.JPG

P3300311.JPG

P3300312.JPG

P3300313.JPG

Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but the chainring teeth look really worn to me as far as riding goes. The serial number on mine that I peg at around 1912 is 195xxx however that might help.

The chainring looks okay up close; we will test the bike carefully (I am 145 pounds, Frank's over 200). It's a fixie with no auxiliary brake, so it has to be ridden carefully. I did a nuts and bolts cleaning, and am putting it back together. The rear tire is really on there, and I'm not able to budge it with any kind of lever
P3310316.JPG
... pics attached so far--

P4030322.JPG

P4030323.JPG

P4030324.JPG

The teeth on the chainring should look like flat top pyramids in profile, so if it's to be ridden for appreciable distances, you'll probably want to get another chainring. Cleaning up really nice, though! Does the rear tire hold air?

The teeth on the chainring should look like flat top pyramids in profile, so if it's to be ridden for appreciable distances, you'll probably want to get another chainring. Cleaning up really nice, though! Does the rear tire hold air?

Yes the tire holds air. It will not come off the rim, and we want to replace both tires with white period-looking ones. Not sure what to do.

I'm not sure how to remove it without destroying it. May be the only way if it's metal bead clincher and the rubber deteriorated, leaving the bead to rust to the rim. There may be a better product than I can think of, but if you can get a good liquid penetrant, spray around where the tire and rim joins, leave it overnight (maybe hitting it another time or two), then get some sturdy picks or whatever can get in there to work the rubber and metal off. This method worked pretty well on rubber engine hoses in a marine environment, so maybe it would help here.

The chainring looks okay up close; we will test the bike carefully (I am 145 pounds, Frank's over 200). It's a fixie with no auxiliary brake, so it has to be ridden carefully. I did a nuts and bolts cleaning, and am putting it back together. The rear tire is really on there, and I'm not able to budge it with any kind of leverView attachment 782388 ... pics attached so far--

View attachment 782389

View attachment 782390

View attachment 782391

You can use a snowflake chainring, too

Back