When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre 1916 Consolidated Manufacturing Yale bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That's a unique Springer attachment Catfish!

I could be wrong but I believe the one on the 1908 Yale catalog is a Sager. Which is also on my wish list.

Also, I encourage everyone to go thru this thread again as some of my posts have been updated since the recent thread title change/improvements.

image.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 22.41.34.png

A couple of notables on the 06' Yale Catalog. It says it's the 11th annual catalog. I'd love to see any of the older ones if someone has them. Most would be Kirk mfg. I'm guessing. Also, my 06' catalog still makes reference to the Kirk Mfg. badge, along with the consolidated manufacturing badge. These badge images are present in the 06' catalog. Perhaps the Kirk mfg. badge didn't disappear right at the time of the formation of Consolidated Manufacturing.

Patric, That might be why we're seeing it on this machine that you referenced in the last image below. I also believe that badge states the consolidated transition on the upper left corner. I'll look for a better example to share.

IMG_20200107_201320468.jpg

IMG_20200101_092418688.jpg

IMG_20200101_092450851.jpg

images (2).jpeg

Very interesting stuff. My own interest in the topic relates to my 1903 California motorcycle, probably built by the California Motor Co. in San Francisco, just before Consolidated Mfg Co. bought the company to give is an entry into the motorcycle business. My bike has a California head badge, rather than the later Yale California. The origins of the motorcycle are in California.

Anyway, over the years I have collected a few bits and pieces about Yale history - forgive me if you know all this already.

Ezra E. Kirk (E.A. Kirk in another reference, Edward E. Kirk in another!) started in the bicycle business in 1895, first with the Kirk-Young Mfg Co, and later with the Kirk Mfg Co in Toledo. As can be inferred from head badges above, Kirk manufactured Yale bicycle.

Meanwhile, Snell bicycles were being made by The Snell Cycle Fittings Co, also in Toledo.

It seems that both companies somehow avoided being sucked into "the trust" (the American Bicycle Co.) in 1900.

Kirk and Snell merged in late 1902 to form the Kirk-Snell Mfg Co., with Yale and Snell bicycles produced under this banner until October 1903 when the Consolidated Manufacturing Company was incorporated. Consolidated was referred to as "Successors to the Kirk Mfg Co and the Snell Cycle Fittings Co", so it's possible that the "Kirk-Snell Mfg Co" was an informal name for the merging companies used in 1903, pending the capital raising with the formation of the new company in October.

The California motorcycle was acquired at the October 1903 formation of Consolidated, with L.H. Bill of the California Motor Co moving to Toledo which became the new manufacturing base for the "Yale California" motorcycle. I have seen a period advert for the "Snell California", so it's possible a few motorcycles were sold under the Snell banner in 1904.

Hope this fills in a few gaps.

Cheers

Leon

Thank you very much Leon for your contributions to this thread! Yes, very interesting history indeed on how it all came to be. Also, How fortunate you are to own a 1903 California Motorcycle. It would also be great to know more specifics about that machine(mechanical design aspects & components, motor serial number, etc.) as well, given that few of us have probably ever seen one, but would certainly love to.

Last edited:
Back