When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre 1937 Colson serial number project

-
Bummed this lovely '36 got blown to bits on eBay. Serial 713k

1663084409583.png

I've had this Colson Rear Steer for several years now. Throwing my serial number into the mix to figure it out. My guess is it was made in either June or Febrary 07, 1920 Frame # 80. Of course not absolutely sure. It's nice the drive train looks original including the skip-chain, cranks, and the rear steer mechanism, Pedals, seats handlebars, troxel seats and fenders including chainguards are more vintage but look great. Not a completely original piece. I had to scrape off the repainted red to get to the serial number. Not sure if the yellow under the red is original color or primer. Any help would be great thanks.

I've had this Colson Rear Steer for several years now. Throwing my serial number into the mix to figure it out. My guess is it was made in either June or Febrary 07, 1920 Frame # 80. Of course not absolutely sure. It's nice the drive train looks original including the skip-chain, cranks, and the rear steer mechanism, Pedals, seats handlebars, troxel seats and fenders including chainguards are more vintage but look great. Not a completely original piece. I had to scrape off the repainted red to get to the serial number. Not sure if the yellow under the red is original color or primer. Any help would be great thanks.View attachment 1696979

View attachment 1696980
Thinking of selling it but would like to know more about it.

Thinking of selling it but would like to know more about it.
I believe that June may be correct for the sixth month corresponding to the sixth letter “F” stamp.
Bike looks 1930’s and appropriate to this thread (after the 14th post was made?).
Thanks for all the posts guys. I've decided to include '37 bikes as well in hopes that it helps us see a pattern in Colson serials. Keep them coming!

Last edited:
Thank You for your response Archie. I see, I only responded to your post. Sorry still new to the CABE, I'll figure it out. I will relocate my post. 1933 was my original thought, but the 20 80 0 threw me off. Have a great day!

I'd like to compile a list of Colson serial numbers and take a stab at cracking the code. I have a few written down with a description of the bike and a few pics, but would appreciate any info other Cabe members would care to share. If possible, please post the serial number and a pic of the bike. If a picture is not available, a description would be great. Sticking to pre-37 since that's the year Colson began stamping a two digit date code into the bottom bracket. Thanks for the help! Mike.

Back