When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre 1937 Colson serial number project

-
1935 girls Colson, ballooner, rain gutter fenders, old style fork, newer tank.

fullsizeoutput_7be.jpeg

DSC01124_zpskfjjyebw.jpg

I am "re-building" an old Colson Motobike. I found the bike without the badge, so I will never "know" what it was to begin with. I narrowed it down to a "Ranger" or a "Flyer" based on the frame/fork/wheels/seat that were on it. Incorrect crank, sprocket, rack, and possibly the stem. Most of the rest was there, including the Lobdel 26" balloon clincher wheelset.
Colson hourglass front hub and model D New Departure rear( no oiler). I am rebuilding these with correct DB spokes/nips. I "believe" it is Oct, 1933.....pete

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8775.JPG

IMG_8774.JPG

IMG_8938.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts guys. I'm going to add these to the bikes/frames I have. I've decided to include '37 bikes as well in hopes that it helps us see a pattern in Colson serials. Keep them coming!

IMG_1021.JPG

I took some actual frame measurements on my 26-er Colson moto-bike frame. Serial #3J6333 -possibly a oct/1933 frame.
The 28" wheel bikes share the same frame measurements but with 1/2" Longer chainstays, and 3/4" Longer fork measurement.
Thanks @Phattiremike for providing his 28-er measurements below...
1540327883205.png
EA873CCC-D87B-4BE6-88D0-66B4D8E52FAC[1].png

Last edited:
Not that there is a large sample yet but from what I'm seeing '36 looks like they went to a different serial system. Looks like pre-'36 may have been a year month numbering system. Need about 25 more bikes and we could probably figure it out. V/r Shawn

Back