When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre 1937 Colson serial number project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The "L" may be December, not "ladies".....a previous post of a pre-36 ladies bike does not have the "L" as you state..(post#11) Show me an "M" on a colson and I may change my mind.

Last edited:
Nice bike!! The computer I saved the serial number information on is on my Vista machine and the video card is not wanting to work right this morning. But, I looked up the ladies bike I posted the pictures of, and this source told me that before 1937 their serial numbers were very easy to figure out. The 5 stood for 1935, and the L in mine stood for Ladies model, and then 2222 was the sequential serial number. So, I would agree that yours, as well, is a 1935. The next letter C in yours would be the model, but they made several men's models, so who knows? I'll keep trying to get this Vista machine to boot because I am pretty sure the link was saved there because it's not on my Win 7 computer. I'll check my phone too.
It's the 37-on serials that are easy to figure out due to the additional 2 digit date stamping. I am curious to see what you have to share tho. Thanks for the help.

Sort of related, has anyone ever seen a "A" or "B' serial number on a prewar Colson bike?
I have seen everything from "C" to "L", but not the first two letters of the alphabet.
Just curious.

Tim

Couple of Hi-Lo's thanks to @Mark Mattei
1540567745046.png

1540567761968.png

View attachment 889855
View attachment 889856

Couple of Hi-Lo #’s, the girl’s is hard to read and l’m not keen on scraping it.
I'm not a fan of that myself. Thanks for Posting.
Men's 4D1105
Ladies 4D2868?

The other interesting thing isthat pre-36 frames with the possible year/mo stamps are so far using only the numbers 1, 2, 3 & 6 after the letter(month) code. Looking forward to some more frames' serial numbers.... (@tripple3 )

Last edited:
so far using only the numbers 1, 2, 3 &
So I wonder how often the sequence number was reset or started over, and from what first number, and what do the stamped serial numbers tell us about the production numbers, (if anything). Were the individual bikes stamped, or the lots of bottom brackets; i.e., stamped at what stage in the production process.
frame 10.jpg Elgin frame 4.jpg
Two (2) formerly badge-less 28" double drop bar frames, 3E1321, (May 1933); ?E0166, (May 193?).

So I wonder how often the sequence number was reset or started over, and from what first number, and what do the stamped serial numbers tell us about the production numbers, (if anything). Were the individual bikes stamped, or the lots of bottom brackets; i.e., stamped at what stage in the production process.
View attachment 889993 View attachment 889994
Two (2) formerly badge-less 28" double drop bar frames, 3E1321, (May 1933); ?E0166, (May 193?).
Pics of the bikes? Or at least frames if possible.

Back