When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre '64 Huret spoke protectors on Ebay

-
Lee, I'm pretty sure that the '64 Sierra with it's 30t freewheel came with the larger chrome plated steel protector that the other '64 derailleur equipped bikes also came with.

That is true, in '64 Schwinn introduced the 7.5" chrome steel spoke protector. This means that the small alloy Huret protectors were only used from mid-'61 to '63 on bikes with Huret derailleurs.

I just reread Lee's comment and see that he refers to both the '63 and '64 Sierra's.
The '64 was the only one with the 30t freewheel. The '63 Sierra still had the 14-15-18-22-28 freewheel that the '62 bikes had.
With the changeover to the new, so called Alpine gearing of the '64 bikes, the 15 speed Sierra really didn't have much advantage over the newly geared 10 speeds so in '64 they threw on the 30t cog to give it a slightly lower gear than the 10 speeds. As we know though, it disappeared the next model year.

The '64 was the only one with the 30t freewheel. The '63 Sierra still had the 14-15-18-22-28 freewheel that the '62 bikes had.
With the changeover to the new, so called Alpine gearing of the '64 bikes, the 15 speed Sierra really didn't have much advantage over the newly geared 10 speeds so in '64 they threw on the 30t cog to give it a slightly lower gear than the 10 speeds. As we know though, it disappeared the next model year.

I see, thanks for the information! That makes a lot of sense, and the spec. sheets show it went from 38-100 gearing in '63 (same as the Superior) to 36-100 in '64:

1963dlr_Sierra.jpg

1964dlr_Sierra.jpg

I just reread Lee's comment and see that he refers to both the '63 and '64 Sierra's.

The higher end bikes had the 14-15-18-22-28 freewheel in 62 but the Conti and Varsity still had the 25T until the 63 model year.

So just to be clear on this, the small alloy Huret spoke protectors were available in a 4.75" slotted version designed for a 28T large sprocket and a smaller solid version designed for a 25T large sprocket? If so what is the diameter of the solid version? Which freewheel(s) did the Corvette 5-speed come with?

Last edited:
So just to be clear on this, the small alloy Huret spoke protectors were available in a 4.75" slotted version designed for a 28T large sprocket and a smaller solid version designed for a 25T large sprocket? If so what is the diameter of the solid version?

The diameter of the smaller one is a wee bit smaller. J/K.......I'll measure mine after I eat dinner and get my snow boots on. I'm thinking it's 4.25" but it's been a while so I'll double check.
62-corvette-5-r-b-001-medium-jpg.jpg

As you can see here my Corvette 5 is equipped with the incorrect (slotted) larger 4.75" protector. Lots of aluminum showing but it looks fine, just not original.

Last edited:
The small solid protector that was used on the Conti, Varsity and Corvette 5 speed with the 25T freewheel is 4 3/8" in diameter. The 63 Varsity 28T freewheel used the 4 3/4" solid protector. Not positive about the 63 Conti 28T but my guess is it had the larger solid piece like the Varsity. So there are actually 3 versions of the early 60's aluminum pie plates known.

This thread would be a good test to find out if you have attention deficit disorder.

Bottom line, as far as we know this ebay Huret protector is only for the 1962 Super Continental 15 speed and the 1963 Sierra 15 speed. No one mentioned the 1963 Superior which also has the 38 to 100 gear and huret derailleurs, can we assume this also used this protector?

1963-superior.jpg

To the best of our knowledge , this is a 1962 - 1963 15 speed spoke protector?

huret spoke protector.jpg

Last edited:
Back