When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre or post war rack?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Robertriley

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hey guys,
I’m looking for a prewar 6 hole rack and a friend offered me this one. We aren’t sure if it is prewar or post war. I here there is a difference but I have no idea on how to tell. Help please.

Thank you,
Chris

CEA8E08A-6C7C-4BFC-8568-BD69972C652D.jpeg

A0BF2456-6E8E-4DC6-BD2A-C3CDB9F3C751.jpeg

56EBF178-6F0A-47B2-AC3F-3F7872613CA5.jpeg

Give it the Dollar bill test.
Hold the end of a dollar bill up to the end of the rack, where it butts up against the frame.
If it’s as wide as the bill, it’s postwar.
If it’s only as wide as the inside edge of the white border, it’s prewar.

Give it the Dollar bill test.
Hold the end of a dollar bill up to the end of the rack, where it butts up against the frame.
If it’s as wide as the bill, it’s postwar.
If it’s only as wide as the inside edge of the white border, it’s prewar.
In other words....the flat spot on the end will be one of two sizes.....2 1/4" for prewar-2 1/2" for postwar. This is just 1/4" difference...the difference of a $100 rack or a $600 rack. With another size variable-slightly wider for the prewar tall frame/ladies rack.(don't know that measurement off hand!) and that version has the appearance that an inch has been hacked off flat end. And of course on the prewar rack-legs are slightly longer to go to the axel-holes larger for fit to axel.

To answer the original question...your rack appears to be a postwar rack.

Last edited:
Back