When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre War Commuter????

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Meekstapher

On Training Wheels
Hello all, I’m looking for a little more info on this guy. My understanding is, it’s from the 30’s and the make and model is Armstrong. I got from a guy in Phoenix. Thanks for all the help!

905823D1-AF1D-4B94-901D-0F79049FC646.jpeg

7080768F-8003-49CC-87EF-BE4BB0E380E1.jpeg

D5B6EC6F-F119-4F22-95A2-04CFA4C64407.jpeg

here's a starting place for Armstrong, Birmingham - not your specific model, but possibly the make

I can't get Velobase to link (but I can snip them) - your derailleur is Cyclo "triangle hanger earlier version", early 30s to early 40s

Capture.JPG

they don't date your shifter
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Did a quick look in the VC-C library
Armstrong were definitely using that chainring design in the 1930's.
The 'Cyclo' rear derailleur was an option in the very limited range 1939/40 catalogue, but on this sporty model.....

In the 1936 catalogue they were using hub gears or the 'Tri-velox' gear system with the stationary derailleur and sliding gear cluster.
Catalogues between these time periods are currently not available unfortunately.
Of course, your 'Cyclo' could also have been a period aftermarket upgrade pre, or post WW2.
Here's a period road test from 1939.....

I think this may be from the 1938 model year though, it does feature the 'Cyclo' or 'Simplex' gear however.
All images from the V-CC library.

Back