eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

HUFFMANBILL

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 9, 2014
Maryland
Are there any good books or other references available on the History of the various major manufactures, collecting and restoring pre-war English bicycles? Any good web-sites that specialize in these bikes?

Regards,
Bill

Goldenrod

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Mar 14, 2016
Schaumburg
Raleigh dominated the market in the UK and bought out almost all other manufacturers. With India and the dominions they were the largest bike maker?

Reactions: dnc1

HUFFMANBILL

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 9, 2014
Maryland
Thank you all for your responses and I take it that there are little to no good books on these bikes.

Regards,
Bill

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
United States
Veteran Cycle Club formerly had a full library of catalogs going back well before WWII that you could download for free. They recently did away with that and went to a pay-subscription model.

There is a very good book from Tony Hadland on the history of Raleigh - it's a hardcover reference book with lots of pictures and documentation. It's called "Raleigh Past and Presence". He also wrote a nice history of Sturmey Archer, but that is out of print now.

I am unaware of any published, comprehensive history of all pre-WWII British bike brands. Much of the research on these bikes, especially the lesser-known brands was done through the VCC catalog archive.

dnc1

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 1, 2016
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
Veteran Cycle Club formerly had a full library of catalogs going back well before WWII that you could download for free. They recently did away with that and went to a pay-subscription model.

There is a very good book from Tony Hadland on the history of Raleigh - it's a hardcover reference book with lots of pictures and documentation. It's called "Raleigh Past and Presence". He also wrote a nice history of Sturmey Archer, but that is out of print now.

I am unaware of any published, comprehensive history of all pre-WWII British bike brands. Much of the research on these bikes, especially the lesser-known brands was done through the VCC catalog archive.
The reason for the recent change was that switching to the new site significantly reduced online hosting costs, unfortunately this has reduced accessibility.

@SirMike1983 , you may be delighted to know that Tony Hadland, in conjunction with Alan Clarke (head honcho at SA) has just published a revised, expanded, updated version of his book.....
20200110_125307.jpg

If anyone's interested, I can put you in touch with the V-CC book sales officer.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
that's a shame - I've bought a few books from Amazon.uk - often the seller will post to US even if it's not listed in Amazon here.

Reactions: dnc1

dnc1

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 1, 2016
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you re. the Tony Hadland "The Hub of the Universe" book.
Copies are only available through the V-CC (UK).
If anyone wants one you will need to contact the club's book sales officer, James Cooper.
His email is:

jameshfcooper@gmail.com

Shipping is around £20gbp to the U.S. via an insured, tracked and signed for delivery service.
The deluxe edition is almost sold out and the few copies of that version remaining are reserved for club members at the moment.

Last edited:

dnc1

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 1, 2016
Oh, if you do contact James, ask him for a list of their many other publications too.
There are quite a few!

Reactions: piercer_99
This ad goes away when you register for an account!