When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre war Excelsior help.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Notagamerguy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Im looking at this excelsior does anyone know the age of it i assume its atleast early 20s because of the tank shape

Screenshot_20201019-121130_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201019-121206_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201019-121139_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201019-121152_Chrome.jpg

Nice bike, with tank-toolbox. I have been using a rule of 1923 for Excelsior built Sears Elgin bicycles; however that one has the manufacturer’s own badge. The rule goes like this, A = 1923; (just like Westfield, but don’t infer more than a coincidence). 1923 is about the same time that Sears was looking for a replacement manufacturer for the bankrupt Davis Sewing Machine Co. The estimate may be off, and it does not account for my Excelsior-built Elgin without a letter prefix code (1922?).
Also, the bike pictured has the older truss fork design (Excelsior unique?) with the forged fork crown; the Excelsior six points star sprocket (not an A&S Henderson); and long reach goose/swan neck stem.

Last edited:
The Davis Sewing Machine Company’s contract to build bikes for Sears ended in 1919. It’s the last year we see Chiefs, napoleons, masters, etc. I believe the bottle cap badged Michigan City built Elgin’s probably start in 1920. Not sure how many years before Westfield gets the Sears contract but I would imagine mid twenties. We start to see these Excelsiors, Triumphs and Deluxes become more prevalent mid twenties and thirties.

Based on the post by @Goldenindian, I reviewed some serial numbers and past assumptions, and will now be adopting a revised rule. A = 1920 for my bikes. I found an “E” serial Elgin with an extra “4” stamp (1924?) and decided to extrapolate from there.
I was way off before — by about 3 years!

Last edited:
OMG....that bike is what dreams are made of for me. I own alot of ballooners but that era is my heart and soul. Lucky guy...

Back