When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre war Excelsior help.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Questions for you guys i was told not to dip this bike in oxalic acid or clean up any of the metal just grease the bearings and ride it. Im still on the fence what i should do any advice

Also what are the odds this bike use to he green? Ive looked around but i havent seen any other than red. The bottom is an olive color and ther seam to be some darker green "pinstripes" for a lack of a better word

20210123_130940.jpg

20210123_130524.jpg

20210123_130454.jpg

We see that it is the same bike as was originally posted. There are a few pictures of the green & red or red & green Excelsior bicycles on this site; such as thread # 12768 — and the Sears Elgin labeled Excelsior-built bicycles are mostly red.

What to do with a bicycle that is already gone — and exactly how far gone is too far gone?

It is your bike; and there are many 1920’s Excelsiors (or Sears Elgins) still out there. Many a big-wallet member might pass on a bike project like this one — and wait for a more minty example.

You might first try the minimal clean up and lube actions to see if a rusty old bike is the right style for you; maybe, after a while, you might get used to it?

Last edited:
We see that it is the same bike as was originally posted. There are a few pictures of the green & red or red & green Excelsior bicycles on this site; such as thread # 12768 — and the Sears Elgin labeled Excelsior-built bicycles are mostly red.

What to do with a bicycle that is already gone — and exactly how far gone is too far gone?

It is your bike; and there are many 1920’s Excelsiors (or Sears Elgins) still out there. Many a big-wallet member might pass on a bike project like this one — and wait for a more minty example.

You might first try the minimal clean up and lube actions to see if a rusty old bike is the right style for you; maybe, after a while, you might get used to it?
Thank you for the thred number. It good to see what it should look like. I guess i was typing in the wrong key words.

I put on incorrect time correct grips. i swaped out the seat for a recovered rider seat that i still need to stain. I put on matching girl pedals. I repsoked and trued the wheels twice . Put on cheap glue on tubular tires that are a hair too small and I cleaned all the bearings. The bike rides great and it was worth every penny. Now i just needs to find a delta light and make sure the seat is straight next time i ride it.

20210402_132607.jpg

20210402_132610.jpg

20210402_132613.jpg

20210402_132618.jpg

20210402_132629.jpg

20210402_132642.jpg

20210402_132650.jpg

Back