When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre war Excelsior help.

-
Questions for you guys i was told not to dip this bike in oxalic acid or clean up any of the metal just grease the bearings and ride it. Im still on the fence what i should do any advice

Also what are the odds this bike use to he green? Ive looked around but i havent seen any other than red. The bottom is an olive color and ther seam to be some darker green "pinstripes" for a lack of a better word

20210123_130940.jpg

20210123_130524.jpg

20210123_130454.jpg

We see that it is the same bike as was originally posted. There are a few pictures of the green & red or red & green Excelsior bicycles on this site; such as thread # 12768 — and the Sears Elgin labeled Excelsior-built bicycles are mostly red.

What to do with a bicycle that is already gone — and exactly how far gone is too far gone?

It is your bike; and there are many 1920’s Excelsiors (or Sears Elgins) still out there. Many a big-wallet member might pass on a bike project like this one — and wait for a more minty example.

You might first try the minimal clean up and lube actions to see if a rusty old bike is the right style for you; maybe, after a while, you might get used to it?

Last edited:
We see that it is the same bike as was originally posted. There are a few pictures of the green & red or red & green Excelsior bicycles on this site; such as thread # 12768 — and the Sears Elgin labeled Excelsior-built bicycles are mostly red.

What to do with a bicycle that is already gone — and exactly how far gone is too far gone?

It is your bike; and there are many 1920’s Excelsiors (or Sears Elgins) still out there. Many a big-wallet member might pass on a bike project like this one — and wait for a more minty example.

You might first try the minimal clean up and lube actions to see if a rusty old bike is the right style for you; maybe, after a while, you might get used to it?
Thank you for the thred number. It good to see what it should look like. I guess i was typing in the wrong key words.

I put on incorrect time correct grips. i swaped out the seat for a recovered rider seat that i still need to stain. I put on matching girl pedals. I repsoked and trued the wheels twice . Put on cheap glue on tubular tires that are a hair too small and I cleaned all the bearings. The bike rides great and it was worth every penny. Now i just needs to find a delta light and make sure the seat is straight next time i ride it.

20210402_132607.jpg

20210402_132610.jpg

20210402_132613.jpg

20210402_132618.jpg

20210402_132629.jpg

20210402_132642.jpg

20210402_132650.jpg

Back