When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-war fender stays

-

BFGforme

riding my 42 defense model Bf Goodrich
Just got some pre-war fender stays from bicycle bones for a bike I'm building and 3 of them are the same and one being a little bit shorter! Thinking same size for the front fender and shorter one on top in the rear? Anyone know? Please chime in so I can continue with my project! Thanks in advance!

Just got some pre-war fender stays from bicycle bones for a bike I'm building and 3 of them are the same and one being a little bit shorter! Thinking same size for the front fender and shorter one on top in the rear? Anyone know? Please chime in so I can continue with my project! Thanks in advance!View attachment 1343993
I haven't measured any fender stays, but the rear fender has to have some clearance to move the tire front to back when adjusting chain tension, so a longer rear stay would make sense.

I haven't measured any fender stays, but the rear fender has to have some clearance to move the tire front to back when adjusting chain tension, so a longer rear stay would make sense.
But stay moves with tire, so distance between tire and fender doesn't change?

My guess is both the front ones should both be shorter. That's just based on looking at a lot of pictures, doing a lot of measuring, and modifying the non-original rear fender stays on my 41 to fit better. Will 2 long ones on the front even fit? I doubt it. Some bikes do have one longer stay that sort of "tilts" the front fender, but I have not noticed anything like that on later prewar Schwinns. You didn't say what year, but I'm guessing from those embossed stays it is late 30s or newer, and the front fender follows the curve of the wheel.

On the back, as noted, the fender is pushed by the axle as the wheel moves rearward. Those same late 30s to early 40s Schwinns often do have a rear fender that looks a bit stretched compared to the wheel. I'm not sure if Schwinn intended that or if it is just chain stretch. I guess it could be a shorter vertical fender stay, but I'll bet it's chain stretch.

All of the above is a wild-ass guess, so it is worth what you paid for it LOL! :D Hopefully someone around here really knows.

My guess is both the front ones should both be shorter. That's just based on looking at a lot of pictures, doing a lot of measuring, and modifying the non-original rear fender stays on my 41 to fit better. Will 2 long ones on the front even fit? I doubt it. Some bikes do have one longer stay that sort of "tilts" the front fender, but I have not noticed anything like that on later prewar Schwinns. You didn't say what year, but I'm guessing from those embossed stays it is late 30s or newer, and the front fender follows the curve of the wheel.

On the back, as noted, the fender is pushed by the axle as the wheel moves rearward. Those same late 30s to early 40s Schwinns often do have a rear fender that looks a bit stretched compared to the wheel. I'm not sure if Schwinn intended that or if it is just chain stretch. I guess it could be a shorter vertical fender stay, but I'll bet it's chain stretch.

All of the above is a wild-ass guess, so it is worth what you paid for it LOL! :D Hopefully someone around here really knows.
Now a buddy is saying rear is same and bottom front should be the short one! LMFAO, sent Dan at bones asking him if he knows since he's selling them! Any one else? Appreciate all comments (well probably almost all) so anyone else?

Theoretically they should be all the same. Those must be made for the super rare never produce Schwinn with the rear facing drop outs that don't let you drop out, so anything is possible. I'm thinking the stamping or punching was misaligned and the flats on the end should also be the same, but I'm at two strikes and three fouls.

Theoretically they should be all the same. Those must be made for the super rare never produce Schwinn with the rear facing drop outs that don't let you drop out, so anything is possible. I'm thinking the stamping or punching was misaligned and the flats on the end should also be the same, but I'm at two strikes and three fouls.
So Dan at bones just emailed me and all four should be same as we all thought, so he sent me the wrong one and three correct one's! Case closed!!! Thanks for letting me confuse everyone, LMFAO!!!!

Back