When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre war headlight conversion?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
300 lumen led bulb in the headlight on this. I lights up a good path.

The conversion on this kerosene lamp is brighter though. I think it is closer to 1,000lm

Some LED’s unlike original bulbs cast most of the light forward only, whereas original bulbs cast light 360 degrees making better use / reflection of the reflector making the light brighter. Some LED’s are longer than original bulbs pushing the light farther forward, out of the reflector, again making poor use of the reflector. The best LED’s are the chip type with chips on the sides as well as in front and shorter ones that sit deeper into the reflector.

Last edited:
I would recommend that if you do ultimately transition to LED bulbs, that you aim to find one that generates a yellower type light. Most LED lamps now gernerate a blueish white light, but the yellower type light retains a more authentic look for an antique ride. Although all of my lamps still burn incandescent or kerosene which are scarcely brigher than a candle at night, LED is far more effective. And I do ride at night quite a lot, especially in winter, so LED would be nice.

The bike in my profile image is an E10 incandescent headlight, powered by 2 D Cells in the can, and it shines a dim light about 15 feet before you in total darkness. Not that great.

Try SuperBrightLEDs.com. For a couple bucks + shipping you can get a 1W LED bulb that screws into a standard light fitting. I have one on my Monark train light and the light output is amazing, no problems seeing and being seen @ night. Lighting is one area where modern technology makes sense from a safety perspective, and this is from someone with a dozen old bicycle oil and carbide lamps. I appreciate originality, but not at the expense of being a grease spot on the pavement.

Back