When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-War Hercules?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Oilit

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I know Hercules bikes are hard to date to a specific year, but I believe this one is pre-war, just because the only other "Hercules Sports Model" I could find on here is definitely pre-war: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/hercules-sports-model.96604/
Unfortunately, this one doesn't have the original wheels, they've been replaced at some point with 26 x 1.375 rims with U.S. Royal Touring tires marked "Fits American Hooked Edge Rims". Sheldon Brown says these were used on "Very Old U.S. Lightweights". The wheels in the pictures are the as-found front wheel with a Schwinn tire and a Schwinn rear just to get it rolling.
There's no marks to indicate this bike was ever a three speed, and looking at the Veteran-Cycle Club on-line library, there doesn't seem to be a specific "Hercules Sports Model" but rather a group, which makes me think these all used the same frame with different fittings according to the specific model, but I could be wrong. The head badge looks like some kind of translucent plastic sheet backed by metal foil as a reflector and a brass ring as a frame, does anyone know the years Hercules used this type of badge? And what would be appropriate wheels if I ever find any? (I have some modern aluminum ones that will get it rideable). And what is the tab on the left rear seat stay for? And have you ever seen a rear fender modified like this? It's neat enough that it could be factory, but I can't see any reason the factory would do this.
The man I bought this from got it from his boss for helping clean out his parents house. The bosses' dad was in England during WWII, so this could have been bought there and brought back. I'll be glad to hear any insights you have. Thanks.

Right Side.JPG

Left Side.JPG

Front Decals.JPG

Rear Seat.JPG

Head Badge.JPG

Head Badge Close-Up.JPG

Pedal.JPG

Rear Fender Detail.JPG

Rear Fender Decal.jpg

B.B. Close-Up.JPG

Seat Post Decal.JPG

Seat Stamp.JPG

Handlebar.JPG

Seat Stay Tab.JPG

Left Side Front.JPG

What a cool bike. Looks pretty unmolested to me. Great saddle and love the pedals. Wish I could give you some info but all I have is props. Congrats on a fine, early lightweight.

I think you're right @bulldog1935, looks like a 'Popular' model.
They were indeed popular and in production for a long period. Usually the centre piece of the badge is missing on most examples I've seen.
If you do have a frame serial number @Oilit I'd be interested to know it. My next door neighbour also has one of these, it would be neat to compare numbers, his is believed to be circa 1930/31.
Thanks,
Darren.
P.S. Owners rate these better than contemporary 'Raleighs'!
Nothing like a little controversy!

I think you're right @bulldog1935, looks like a 'Popular' model.
They were indeed popular and in production for a long period. Usually the centre piece of the badge is missing on most examples I've seen.
If you do have a frame serial number @Oilit I'd be interested to know it. My next door neighbour also has one of these, it would be neat to compare numbers, his is believed to be circa 1930/31.
Thanks,
Darren.
P.S. Owners rate these better than contemporary 'Raleighs'!
Nothing like a little controversy!
I take it the "Popular" was the Hercules equivalent to the Raleigh Sports? I'll post the serial number tomorrow.

something that's noteworthy about your rear fender.
It's worth a search, but sometime in the 30s, required white rear fender tip became a law in England (Darren can probably date this).
The white fender tip on your bike is an addition, suggesting your bike was made before that requirement.

Here, found it https://thefrugalcyclist.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/white-tail-english-mudguards-aka-fenders/
Required by law after October 1934 - your bike was made before that, and the white fender tip added later to meet the law - otherwise they couldn't ride it at night.

Popular was used to designate entry-level finish grade in English marketing. You guys know I collect between-the-wars Brit fly reels.
Many models were named Popular. We wouldn't call anything "cheaper grade throughout" today, but frugality then was a virtue.
YYPXKRP.jpg

Last edited:
something that's noteworthy about your rear fender.
It's worth a search, but sometime in the 30s, required white rear fender tip became a law in England (Darren can probably date this).
The white fender tip on your bike is an addition, suggesting your bike was made before that requirement.
Interesting! I thought someone had cut off the end of the fender, slid it up and bolted it back down, but I couldn't figure out why. Your idea makes sense, and it hadn't crossed my mind. I wonder why they didn't just paint the fender? Thanks!

there was probably a rush to legalize every bike on the road and the bolt-on safety fender tip found a market.

I'm sure all new bikes after Oct 34 had painted white tips

Back