When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-War Hercules?

-
Not necessarily so. I had a 1946 Hercules with exactly that kind of "add on" white piece. Hubs dated to October 1946, but they were still using the add-on piece at that point still.

I think the decals point to a pre-WWII bike made in the mid- to late-1930s, based on the large, gold block lettering used and the red Hercules triangle. My 1946 had a silver triangle on the black portion of the rear fender and different decals. It's similar to the bikes shown in the 1937 catalog, and appears to be the Sports Model F.

The bracket on the seat stay is for a bolt-on reflector (can also be used for a tail light if you have a generator). This is helpful because many of these have a two-screw plain plate on the rear fender rather than a rear fender reflector.

This model of bicycle was made for quite a long time without significant modification.

Hercules was a big importer of English bikes into the U.S. prior to WWII, more so than Raleigh. Raleigh was much bigger after the Second War.

Sheldon's description of 26 x 1.375 wheels is generally right, but a little vague. That style of wheel dates to the 1930s-50s era, with most examples coming from the 1940s. At 599mm, they're very close in size to the Schwinn 597mm (S5/S6) bead size. It's likely that in some places in the U.S., 26 x 1.375 wheel parts and tires were easier to find than English 590mm in those days. Today, it's just the opposite.

Original wheels would have been Endrick pattern 26 x 1 3/8 English type wheels. If you see signs of clamp use on the frame and the bars, it may have been a three speed originally, but certainly not all were 3-speeds (it was an extra pound on the Model F if you wanted a three speed instead of a single speed).

It's a good find of a pretty old bike. The condition is pretty good.

20160820_182013.jpg

Last edited:
The white add-on mudguard piece was an optional extra, available for many years.
I don't believe any manufacturers ever produced factory models with painted white sections @bulldog1935; you never see this in catalogues anyway. It was marketed as an official accessory by Hercules, a friend has a NOS unused example.

I'm now leaning towards @SirMike1983's above suggestion (and @Oilit's original proposition) that this is a Sport's model.
The head tube length is right, as is the chain wheel (the Popular had the chain wheel with Hercules lettering).
The handlebars for caliper brakes are right.

However, there are a few things incorrect re. the dating:
'30's sports/lightweights had gold painted head tubes.
The front mudguard is not spear pointed shape at the front end, this is a roadster 'guard.
The chromed fork crown cover is late '40's/50's.
Pump pegs are brazed on, '30's are removeable.
Those frame lugs are not '30's.

Whatever it is, its a nice condition rider!

I have to go lie down now, all of these Herc. catalogues have given me a headache!
I'll send photos around, see if anyone can help.

The white add-on mudguard piece was an optional extra, available for many years.
I don't believe any manufacturers ever produced factory models with painted white sections @bulldog1935; you never see this in catalogues anyway. It was marketed as an official accessory by Hercules, a friend has a NOS unused example.

I'm now leaning towards @SirMike1983's above suggestion (and @Oilit's original proposition) that this is a Sport's model.
The head tube length is right, as is the chain wheel (the Popular had the chain wheel with Hercules lettering).
The handlebars for caliper brakes are right.

However, there are a few things incorrect re. the dating:
'30's sports/lightweights had gold painted head tubes.
The front mudguard is not spear pointed shape at the front end, this is a roadster 'guard.
The chromed fork crown cover is late '40's/50's.
Pump pegs are brazed on, '30's are removeable.
Those frame lugs are not '30's.

Whatever it is, its a nice condition rider!

I have to go lie down now, all of these Herc. catalogues have given me a headache!
I'll send photos around, see if anyone can help.
I know what you mean, I was looking through the late '30's catalogs on the V-C C on-line library. There were a lot of Hercules models, and sorting them out takes some studying! For what it's worth, the serial number is KY 2618.

Not necessarily so. I had a 1946 Hercules with exactly that kind of "add on" white piece. Hubs dated to October 1946, but they were still using the add-on piece at that point still.

I think the decals point to a pre-WWII bike made in the mid- to late-1930s, based on the large, gold block lettering used and the red Hercules triangle. My 1946 had a silver triangle on the black portion of the rear fender and different decals. It's similar to the bikes shown in the 1937 catalog, and appears to be the Sports Model F.

The bracket on the seat stay is for a bolt-on reflector (can also be used for a tail light if you have a generator). This is helpful because many of these have a two-screw plain plate on the rear fender rather than a rear fender reflector.

This model of bicycle was made for quite a long time without significant modification.

Hercules was a big importer of English bikes into the U.S. prior to WWII, more so than Raleigh. Raleigh was much bigger after the Second War.

Sheldon's description of 26 x 1.375 wheels is generally right, but a little vague. That style of wheel dates to the 1930s-50s era, with most examples coming from the 1940s. At 599mm, they're very close in size to the Schwinn 597mm (S5/S6) bead size. It's likely that in some places in the U.S., 26 x 1.375 wheel parts and tires were easier to find than English 590mm in those days. Today, it's just the opposite.

Original wheels would have been Endrick pattern 26 x 1 3/8 English type wheels. If you see signs of clamp use on the frame and the bars, it may have been a three speed originally, but certainly not all were 3-speeds (it was an extra pound on the Model F if you wanted a three speed instead of a single speed).

It's a good find of a pretty old bike. The condition is pretty good.

View attachment 948007
Thank you, @SirMike1983 ! Thorough and informative, as usual. The fact that Hercules was big over here before WWII is news to me. Was this in the '20's? I've always assumed the depression limited trade and imports during the '30's, but it seems there were always a few who still had money somehow. Nice bike, by the way!

Thank you, @SirMike1983 ! Thorough and informative, as usual. The fact that Hercules was big over here before WWII is news to me. Was this in the '20's? I've always assumed the depression limited trade and imports during the '30's, but it seems there were always a few who still had money somehow. Nice bike, by the way!

Hercules was a major player in manufacturing and shipping British bicycles abroad prior to WWII, including bicycles exported to the U.S. Although the adult cycling market was very small compared to the youth market, there was still somewhat of a market for utility bicycles for purposes of commuting short distances or for moving goods/deliveries. I once owned 1935 Hercules that was used as a courier bike for some years, and had been outfitted with a heavy-duty basket on the front. Hercules was more aggressive about U.S. marketing prior to WWII than Raleigh was, though you'd never know it based on all the 1960s-70s Raleighs in the U.S. today.

Before WWII, Raleigh's exports to the U.S. were comparatively small. Raleigh did not believe there to be much of a U.S. market for its bikes. Raleigh's imports prior to WWII actually began as a one-man operation in Boston on the part of a man named Hamilton Osgood. This operation actually began in Osgood's house where he would buy the Raleigh bikes and assemble them in his home, then sell the bikes in Boston.

The bike I'm thinking that you have is the men's version of this bike from the 1937 catalog. This bike appears to be the correct frame type (albeit this is the women's version), with the black headtube, white add-on piece, reflector boss on the seat stay, chrome fork crown, etc.

1550507911984.png

Hercules was a major player in manufacturing and shipping British bicycles abroad prior to WWII, including bicycles exported to the U.S. Although the adult cycling market was very small compared to the youth market, there was still somewhat of a market for utility bicycles for purposes of commuting short distances or for moving goods/deliveries. I once owned 1935 Hercules that was used as a courier bike for some years, and had been outfitted with a heavy-duty basket on the front. Hercules was more aggressive about U.S. marketing prior to WWII than Raleigh was, though you'd never know it based on all the 1960s-70s Raleighs in the U.S. today.

Before WWII, Raleigh's exports to the U.S. were comparatively small. Raleigh did not believe there to be much of a U.S. market for its bikes. Raleigh's imports prior to WWII actually began as a one-man operation in Boston on the part of a man named Hamilton Osgood. This operation actually began in Osgood's house where he would buy the Raleigh bikes and assemble them in his home, then sell the bikes in Boston.

The bike I'm thinking that you have is the men's version of this bike from the 1937 catalog. This bike appears to be the correct frame type (albeit this is the women's version), with the black headtube, white add-on piece, reflector boss on the seat stay, chrome fork crown, etc.

View attachment 951269
@SirMike1983, Thank you again! After I thought about it, I remembered that in Pridmore and Heard's book on Schwinn, they mentioned that adult use of bicycles actually increased during the Depression, partly because of new innovations, but also because many people simply couldn't afford a car. And when I went back and looked, there's no indication that there was ever a reflector mounted on this bike's rear fender, so I've learned quite a bit!

Rear Fender.JPG

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. It has helped me with figuring out what my bike isn't, but not necessarily what it is. I'm stuck on the year of manufacture. Rod (roller) brakes, wide front fender, bolt-on seat stays, "H" logo chainring, Type B hub, 3 speed bar mounted shifter ("Her-cu-matic"). Anyone with info regarding this ride please chime in! Pedals, bar wrap, and possibly the pump are definitely not original. Anyone getting rid of some Hercules pedals and/or grips? Overall in very good condition except some missing front wheel spokes, still rides good though, but getting this issue repaired shortly. I have a Lucas "King of the Road" head lamp, tail lamp, generator, and a brass "bulb" car horn for this rebuild; along with Brooks B.17s saddle (O.E. Hercules saddle may not handle everyday rides, keeping for show purposes unless it can be "refurbished" for riding, Brooks front and rear "toolbags"; and some aftermarket rear sidebags to mount on it.

HERCULES.jpg

HERCULESCHAINWHEEL.jpg

HERCULESHEADBADGE.jpg

HERCULESHEADBADGE2.jpg

BROOKSGEAR AND MORE.jpg

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. It has helped me with figuring out what my bike isn't, but not necessarily what it is. I'm stuck on the year of manufacture. Rod (roller) brakes, wide front fender, bolt-on seat stays, "H" logo chainring, Type B hub, 3 speed bar mounted shifter ("Her-cu-matic"). Anyone with info regarding this ride please chime in! Pedals, bar wrap, and possibly the pump are definitely not original. Anyone getting rid of some Hercules pedals and/or grips? Overall in very good condition except some missing front wheel spokes, still rides good though, but getting this issue repaired shortly. I have a Lucas "King of the Road" head lamp, tail lamp, generator, and a brass "bulb" car horn for this rebuild; along with Brooks B.17s saddle (O.E. Hercules saddle may not handle everyday rides, keeping for show purposes unless it can be "refurbished" for riding, Brooks front and rear "toolbags"; and some aftermarket rear sidebags to mount on it.

View attachment 1083073

View attachment 1083067

View attachment 1083068

View attachment 1083069

View attachment 1083075

1953 or 54, based on the hub. The hub is 1953, so the bike would be right around then. Sometimes they're dated the previous year and the bike is completed the following year. It's a Birimingham Hercules (a true "Hercules", not a Raleigh-made Hercules). Bike looks to have been over-painted with orange paint, based on the overspray on the top of the headbadge and the lower head tube race. Braces look painted too. But then it's also not missing a whole lot, so it's a good project. Hercules had hubs and shifter branded their own. The innards are very similar to the Sturmey AW, but some of the parts are a bit heavier-duty (e.g., the clutch). It's possible Brampton made the hubs for Hercules.

Last edited:
Back