When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-War/ Post-War Rack Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Talewinds

I live for the CABE
Is there a difference in the rack stay length? Meaning, did they change the leg length when they switched from axle mounted stays to the stays that attach to the frame tabs?

Yes there is a difference. I am fixing up a rear rack for my 41 Schwinn. I bought a prewar beater with nice legs and swapped the legs onto a post war rack. Dont tell anyone i cheated, shhh!

I think i read somewhere around here that the prewar racks had longer legs, can someone please confirm.

depends on...

what type of bike we are talking about?
If originally axel mounted, can be transferred to tabs with a washer and as long as the rack angle is visually pleasing.
If it was tab mounted, it will not fit over axles.
In general, axle mounted rack legs are longer than tab mounted.
Chris

NEVERMIND....I just noticed this was in the schwinn category and implied, ooops! (and I 'll let the schwinn folks handle this)

Oh crap. Well I just got this '39 DX frame that I'm now piecing parts around. I have a 9 hole rack from a '49 Schwinn I was GOING to use, but maybe that's not possible?
Anyone have more info or parts?

Thanks

Back