When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre War Schwinn DX - Post 'em!!!!

-
Cool. Kinda looks more 40ish with the smaller fenders. Love a black DX

Thanks, yep it's a 1941, I call it my "Pearl Harbor" bike, Morrow hub dated 2Q of 1941, '41 crank.
You may be right about '40 fenders-Prewar Schwinn was already shifting production to war materials per the 50th Annvsy book.
I think they pulled parts from wherever they could get them as they wound down bike production. This has Elgin truss bars (40 mi from Chicago) and a Rollfast stem so not crazy to think they pulled earlier fenders from the parts bin, "Sacrifices must be made"
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-serial-number-reference.63993/page-5#post-744851

Last edited:
I love that! I did kind of the same thing, except I decided my 41 dx was a Lady and her name was Pearl. Lol

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

image.jpeg

Thanks!
The first picture is the as found and rolled out into the field shot, and the second picture is the fresh out of the box from Massachusetts to California. Lol!

One thing I noticed right away, that was interesting, was that it has a straight back type of Cyclock ala, 1936, mated to DX style fork blades.
Not so unusual I guess since Schwinn typically used up old surplus on, "Popularly Priced Models"
I just hadn't noticed that before.
I like the attitude of the slack head tube angle.

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and am joining to see if you can help me with what I was told is prewar Schwinn that I just acquired. I have looked at the pictures of your cool bikes and noticed similarities and difference. The frame looks the same as yours and it has an AS bolt in the handle bars, and a serial number under the crank of G84720. The springer looks different that yours and looks to be the same color as the frame under all the paint, but the spring looks like it doesn't fit correctly. I hope that you can help me identify this bike once and for all and either confirm what I was told or not.

WP_20170911_16_22_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20170911_16_22_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20170911_16_23_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170911_16_24_44_Pro.jpg

Back