When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-war to 1947? American Flyer "Easy Speed" possible Hawthorne or Higgins?

-

Pedal Metal

'Lil Knee Scuffer
When I bought this bike from a friend of the original owner, I was told that it was a 1947. However, the pre-war frame, skip tooth sprocket, art deco Torrington stem and coke bottle grips suggest that it is older. So, maybe it was actually a 1937 and they missed a decade? All I can say is that it's labeled an American Flyer "Speed and Easy". An auction below suggests that this is a Hawthorne skip tooth sprocket, but could it be a Higgins, Monark, Shelby, Zephyr?

The original pedals are missing, so I placed what look to be period correct pedals on it and possibly have an alternative period correct women's Torrington set that I was going to replace the bearing that could go with it instead.

I have not even washed the bike, so it's as dusty rough as I got it, but I'll give it a lite cleaning and post new photos. I'm asking $225 plus shipping. However, I'd be happy to buy you a beer or two if you pick up in Omaha, NE or possibly meet within 50 miles.

Similar part auctions:

Thanks for looking and any advice that you can give me.

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

Last edited:
I think orig owners were right. and you've got an 47-8 D.P. HARRIS Co, generic "American flyer" Rollfast, hawthorn etc. .

Here's an ad stating 1947 rollfast, although not same frame but chain ring, stem Fork, chaingaurd, and those slightly curved fender braces are there. Your frame shows up on both, hawthorn, rollfast and others by DP Harris, > H.P. Snyder, not just in 40's, but for quite some time. .
$_57.jpg

Last edited:
Back