When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre War Values

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
I know there was a thread recently that discussed the apparent rise in values of better pre war bikes in general but in the past two weeks we have seen a number of pre war Schwinns either for sale or sold. Remember this one from just last November? Asking price was $3800 and it lingered, went to Ebay, and may have ended in a private sale.
37 Motorbike.jpg

Just this week an original jewel tank but missing lights, rack, and crossbar has an asking price of nearly $5k
1938%20Autocycle.jpg

and just yesterday this '38 Motorbike for $5k
38 motorbike.jpg

Just some observations....V/r Shawn

Of course we run into the asking price vs. sold price conundrum.

The first bike could have sold for more, and the 2nd two possibly less?

Either way...I'll let you guys fight over the high dollar Schwinns :)

Of course we run into the asking price vs. sold price conundrum.

The first bike could have sold for more, and the 2nd two possibly less?

Either way...I'll let you guys fight over the high dollar Schwinns :)

I'm guessing all three sold/will sell for less than asking price but then everything remains relative. Given that I'm still seeing about a 25% increase on these since last fall. I'd be interested to hear from some of the gurus--Tim B., Bob U., Mark M., Marty C., ???? on their thoughts. V/r Shawn

basic economics

its all supply and demand.
at times the demand is high and the supply is low.
they are not making any more .
but it is also timing. right place at the rigt time.

the observation is a good one.
there is definitly a up tick in values across the board due to recent or current trend in collectables.
bikes /motos ect.

but i think the people that have been doing this for a long time will tell you its nothing new. prices go up and down
if someone likes what they see and want it . they got the money . it will most likely sell for near asking price.

and if some one has some bikes and needs cash quick they may take a bit less than market value.
its all economics.

but i too would like to hear the big 3 or 5s opinions on the topic .
its always interesting to hear others take on trends.

I can't understand for the life of me why someone would want to pay that much for such a common prewar schwinn. I can't understand why people like those bikes so much.

My opinion is that the supply and demand for Schwinn bicycles (both high), assumptions of value couldn't really be applied to other prewar manufacturers accurately.
Chris

I completely agree with the economics of supply and demand combined with trends and waves of new collectors entering the hobby. There is a repeating cycle that occurs. When waves of new collectors and or flippers come into the hobby this can create a hyperinflation. And not only with Schwinn but I've seen a trend in Deluxe Huffman's and Shelby's as of late. I do commend sellers for at least putting a price on their item. And the sold price will work itself out with demand.
Sometimes it takes a long period for the prices to normalize. At least what I would consider normal/fair market value. A steady increase in values is normal and good but I wouldn't bank on my bikes growing dramatically in value. With that said if I purchased a bike for $2,000 ten years ago and I want to sell that bike for whatever reason e.g. upgrade, etc. and the current demand is realizing a $4,000 price you better believe I'm going to list that bike for the higher amount. But 9 times out of 10 I'm just happy to get back what I paid or close to it. With my personal collection my goal is to always be as good of care taker as possible and pass the bike on in the same or most times better condition.

I'm not a fan of wine or winers or winos or wine-ing

Some people drink wine out of a Box.
and some people drink $100,000.00 bottles of fine vintage
and collectable wine .

That's why they invest in wine cellar ect.
its for the experience.

Only those who participate in the experience and enjoy it
can comment on there feeling or reasons on why.

Sometimes some things can't be explained.

Some people dont need to explain why.
they just do.

Its a great feeling.
If you can enjoy something you are passionate about.

Different strokes for different folks.

Looney

Last edited:
Mark was spot on with his supply and demand discussion. I have often seen this in micro for particular parts on eBay. Red X Excelsior badges hit a hot spot for a while with prices over $100 and have now settled back down to more typical prices. Same happened with hanging motobike tanks. Frenzied demand will drive prices to higher than normal levels but as demand wanes the prices will eventualy return to normal levels. I too have noticed the motobike spike. I'll probably curtail my buying for a while until some folks recover from their hot flash.

Back