When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre War Values

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sorry got fess up I am both a retired veteran and a federal worker (Department of Army Civilian). I have more that a few friends though who work outside of government and their take is that the economy has improved as well--not saying it is great but seems to be a little better than it was any way. V/r Shawn

I think there was a downturn to the hobby that was multi-faceted. Not only was the economy a factor but American Pickers did a great disservice to anybody that was in the hobby but did not have deep pockets. I know Mike is a member and I mean him no offense. However, when the show came out the perceived value of every bike more than 20 years old skyrocketed. A $25 bike at a garage sale was worth $400-$500 almost overnight. It spawned (that is the correct term) a multitude of new collectors that called themselves 'pickers' ugh I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about it. They are profit driven and without any morals or conscience and in some cases maturity. Not to mention,the guy on American restorations destroying any value in a piece and falsely claiming that he quadrupled it's value. Dark days, to be sure.

That being said, the economy is doing better. A fair amount of beautiful survivors have been showing up lately, not just Schwinns, and values seem to be going up and up. The supply and demand observation does not really hold true for this hobby and it's market because the bikes(products) and the customers are respectively highly individualized. Any pre war bike is likely to be unique to itself with the exception of identical bikes bought for siblings that have been kept together under almost the same conditions for the past 68+ years.

I miss the Cabe before American Pickers but life goes on...

I agree whole-heartedly with Cyclingday (Marty.) Tim had a super deluxe for sale here recently for $9700.00 (?)
and it was worth every penny. Guys who buy bikes like the shown incomplete Autocycle will look for the parts to eventually
make it whole and it could cost them even more than the $9700.00. Excellent, complete, and original paint Schwinns, Dayton
Huffmans, Shelbys, and Elgins will ALWAYS command top dollar. The prices are steadily going up, and that is as it should
be for things that are this cool and obsolete.

Prewar pricing seems to be on the up steadily ....

- Prices fluctuate with the times for the most part - when times are bad the common bikes & middle of the road bikes are hit the hardest -

- The rare & desirable bicycles are always rare & desirable - In bad times big money bikes sell just as easily for top dollar to collectors who still have the money to buy them - good times or bad times -

Ride Vintage - Frank

Part of the issue with valuation is that with very high dollar, vintage bikes, you're dealing with a very limited sampling for sale in a very limited market. People who are willing to spend $3000 on any bicycle are the rare exception rather than the rule. The number of bicycles actually worth that much are relatively small in the grand scheme as well, at least compared to the body of vintage bikes as a whole. The result is that you have a limited number of goods changing hands in a very small community of people who often are familiar with each other. The transactions are going to be highly personalized.

Part of the issue with valuation is that with very high dollar, vintage bikes, you're dealing with a very limited sampling for sale in a very limited market. People who are willing to spend $3000 on any bicycle are the rare exception rather than the rule. The number of bicycles actually worth that much are relatively small in the grand scheme as well, at least compared to the body of vintage bikes as a whole. The result is that you have a limited number of goods changing hands in a very small community of people who often are familiar with each other. The transactions are going to be highly personalized.

Pretty much this. People see bikes like the cantilever I just sold and there is a perception that they are flying off the shelf. As I have said a million times before, the market for high end bikes is volatile much like or current economy. I bought that bike to help out of a friend and made a very modest profit (about $500). I was sweating bullets to find a buyer, not because the bike wasn't worth it, but because how many people are dropping $8-10K on a bike?! I feel the bike was worth $10K all day and would have parted out for $11K range. I had two interested parties.

If the bike gods came down and gave me an ultimatum to sell bread and butter schwinn parts and bikes or high end bikes I would say I'm going with the bread and butter. Sure you get some glory with the high end stuff but demand is thin. Postwar springer forks and phantom parts will sell all day.

Market timing, sale venue, promotion all help determine the selling price on any given day. I also agree that the more plentiful the supply and availability ( more common bikes) the greater the effects of the overall economy flutuations on bike prices. The top dollar rare and highly desired by those willing to pay top dollar bikes will stiil tend to have more stable prices as long as they are still coming to market. If the supply dries up due to people not selling those tht really want to have one and have the money will spend more. In the long run the prices for the good ones will always trend upward since the supply will always be limited and the demand from folks with $$ isn't going away. I find the original, un-molested, not put together ones to be the most desireable and valuable in the long run. $4K - $10K for a nice prewar hanging tank Schwinn with a Silver Ray and rack seems to be a current market price as reported; a pretty good range, dual headlights, horns etc. and excellent condition are factors. Private party sales by those that do not "report" or care to publicly share this info could be much different, but maybe not. I can remember when $1500 was a realistic market price for some pretty nice deluxe prewar original bikes, and under $500 ones could still be bought from the original owners. Those prices aren't coming back. I think it's a good idea to always hold back a few really nice ones if you can and if you enjoy them. Your heirs will thank you.

Last edited:
Desirability

Many of you complain about prices of bikes in these forums. The facts are simple. A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay. Some of you have access to many bikes and are willing to pay less. Others have access to fewer bikes and are wiling to pay more. Supply and demand matters. Also, condition and originality matters a lot. Instead of complaining, capitalize on the current market conditions.

Nice original paint bikes are worth more than bad restorations.

Vintage bikes can be worth a lot or not much depending on the make and model.

If you want to sell your bike, you have to have a buyer or it won't sell.

Vintage bikes can be ridden but you have to be careful not to damage them or it could hurt the value.

maxresdefault.jpg

Brilliant

This is getting good.

That is funny

QUOTE=Djshakes;360308]Nice original paint bikes are worth more than bad restorations.

Vintage bikes can be worth a lot or not much depending on the make and model.

If you want to sell your bike, you have to have a buyer or it won't sell.

Vintage bikes can be ridden but you have to be careful not to damage them or it could hurt the value.

View attachment 158393[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back