When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-War Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi,

You have a fairly uncommon bicycle. It was manufactured by Cleveland Welding for Western Autos and uses a CWC frame that was only produced for the 1941 model year, physically; these frames were probably made as early as fall 1940 and were likely produced until bicycle production ended for WW2.

While it is a straight-bar, like the Hawthorne ?All American? and several Post-war CWC models, the frame you have actually shares almost nothing with those models.

The CWC designation for Roadmaster version of the bicycle is: Model 5926-A, Men?s ?A? fully equipped. This Model replaced the 4-Gill models offered in 1939 and 40 which in turn were the replacements for the Supreme models of 1937 and 38.

I do not know if Western Autos had a specific designation for this model

The most notable difference between ?A? model CWC frames and lesser models is the 6" tall head tube on the men?s frames (which is the same height used on standard and ?A? model girl?s frames and an inch taller than other men?s CWC frames). The tank aperture is unique to this frame only the correct 1941 tank will fit the frame.

The CWC ?All American? is a very different frame, the head tube is 5? tall, the chain stays are of the earlier non-rising style, and the down tube is virtually straight with a very fast bend close to the bottom bracket. Postwar CWC straight-bar frames are very different again, all with 5? heads and a down tube with a more serpentine bend.

In the past 15+ years I have seen photos of less than 10 of these bicycles. Interestingly, they have been badged about evenly between Roadmaster and Western Flyer. The differences of note between the two are the chain ring, (1? pitch and patterned as yours for Western Flyer, and ?? pitch with 10 torqued hearts for Roadmaster) and the rack (Western Flyer used the Airfoil rack as used on the All American while Roadmaster used a version of the 37-40 rack with turn signal style tail lights.)

For photographic reference you can turn to the Evolution of the Bicycle, volumes one and two. In volume one, on page 148, is a picture of Steve Castelli?s original. And in volume two on page 184, Brad Guilford?s Western Flyer is shown. (I believe the chain guard and headlight are not original.) Unfortunately I don?t believe this model appears on Dave Stromberger?s site!

Regarding the tank and headlight;

1937, 38, and 39 CWC catalogs display ?A? models offered without tanks, the 1940 and 41 catalogs only list ?A? models with tanks. This, along with the style of the paint darts on your frame leads me to believe that your bicycle originally had a tank. The correct tank is hard to find but I?m sure one will turn up if you persevere.

Upper line CWC models for 1940 used a fork mounted headlight which was wired to batteries and a headlight switch in the tank. In 1941 a larger headlight was used that holds its own batteries and switch. This is the headlight you need.

I will try to find a suitable picture to post in the next few days

Enjoy your bike! It is a very nice find.

Philip Marshall

Also, as an aside on All Americans, I thought they were only sold through Ward?s until I scored a frame and fork on eBay a few years ago badged Western Flyer.

If I am not mistaken, the correct tank for this frame had stamped horizontal lines(Ribs)along the sides. I have only come across one of these tanks in the almost 15 yrs I have been involved in this hobby.

Wow! That was much more info than I possibly could have hoped for. Thanks Philip. Can't wait to see the pictures you are able to post. From what Classicriders said it sounds like I certainly have my work cut out for me. Where do you guys think I should begin if I want to track down one of those tanks (if its even possible to get one) and the rack?

Thanks for the help Aeropsycho! I think I am going to try to find the airfoil rack (like those seen on Hawthorne All Americans) instead of the roadmaster rack for my bike.

The only roadmaster tank that 33Kong has that is for a straight bar CWC Bicycle is a luxury liner tank. From what both RMS37 and Classicriders said, it sounds like I am looking for a slightly different tank that is very specific to my rather unusual frame. Was there a different tank that 33Kong had for sale before?

Thanks for you help!

-Alex

Here is a photo of a restored Western Flyer that I believe Memory Lane advertised for sale a couple of years ago. The bike has been assembled correctly with the airfoil rack, but I am not familiar with the orange hue. It may be meant to represent the CWC color, Rust, which appears to be more brown in CWC literature. It is also possible that the color is not represented well in the photo, that orange was originally used, or that ?Rust? was brighter than it appears in the catalogs. The bike sports the 1941 CWC chainguard which may or may not have been offered on Western Flyers and has an incorrect sprocket

The Airfoil rack is correct for your Western Flyer. The rack on eBay is not. With a non-adjustable seat connection it would be correct for certain Roadmasters, but not the 1941 A-model. The adjustable end means it probably was originally mounted on a Snyder built Hawthorne.

The Airfoil rack is not all that hard to find (as it was use on several Hawthorne models in 1940-42) and turns up on eBay at least a couple times a year.

The 41 A-model tank is hard to find, and the tank that Jerry Peters had (eBay, Kong33) has sold. Broadcasting your needs on this site and the Ballooner forum on Yahoo, along with networking in the hobby and keeping a close eye on eBay are probably the best ways to find the parts you need. In the mean time I believe that Jim Frasier has reproduced the tank in fiberglass.

Finding a Rare bike with needs is a bit of a mixed blessing. Your bike is an excellent candidate for restoration and I wish you luck sourcing the parts you need.

Phil

Attachments

• 1941 Western Flyer.jpg
    1941 Western Flyer.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 868
33kong sold that tank off ebay. I emailed him about it when it was listed, but when I called him on the phone he said that it sold privately.

Actually the correct rack should have had curved braces to match the fender braces like this one.

Attachments

• 0f2f_2.JPG
    0f2f_2.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 257
Back