Preservation tips

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Search through the restoration section for a variety of ways to approach this. Whatever you do start of gentle and don't get aggressive because once a pinstripe or decal is gone you can't get it back without replacing/repainting. V/r Shawn

Reactions: FSH and the tinker

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 4, 2014
Planet Mongo
The white paint on the fork and front fender looks excellent. The white on the frame and especially the tank should come back nice, with a soak in Oxalic acid, without scrubbing the heck out of it. Be careful of any cleaning agents, or cleaner type wax, as they all remove some paint. Most of us have learned this the hard way. Like Shawn said, Read the Restoration section. I'll add this, "Read the whole thing.". . . before you start. Good luck and have fun, whatever you decide. Looks like your bike is a '49, or there about. That's the original saddle on it and they're very easy to recover.

gkeep

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jun 11, 2014
Alameda, CA
Congratulations on acquiring a really nice bike! That is going be a beauty with some gentle help and dirt removal. Follow the above advice and be patient, take a look at some of the "before and after" threads and I'm sure you'll be inspired to go carefully. Every bike you work on is always a learning experience. Best of luck and keep the thread updated with pics of your progress!

PS, next 4th of July that bike needs to be in a parade!

Reactions: the tinker

Brokerwerks

On Training Wheels
Jul 19, 2020
Congratulations on acquiring a really nice bike! That is going be a beauty with some gentle help and dirt removal. Follow the above advice and be patient, take a look at some of the "before and after" threads and I'm sure you'll be inspired to go carefully. Every bike you work on is always a learning experience. Best of luck and keep the thread updated with pics of your progress!

PS, next 4th of July that bike needs to be in a parade!
I do have a few flag holders!!!

Thanks for the tips so far!

This ad goes away when you register for an account!