When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Presta vs shraeder valves

-

SJ_BIKER

Riding a 41 Super Deluxe
Did balloon bikes have presta valves back in the day? I do recall seeing a prewar balloon Schwinn with some but don't recall the model or make.

Presta-vs-Schrader1.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know for sure but I would bet on Schraeder valves. Presta is more of a European thing and were likely pretty rare over here except on the few European racers that found there way over back then.

I do know for sure that its a pain to find Woods/Dunlop valved tubes for my Dutch bike over here.

The Presta is an older valve than most people think (being invented in the late 19th century), though its adherence was mainly in continental Europe for a long time. The idea behind the valve was that it would be an easier to use and faster filling valve than other options. It should not be confused with the Dunlop/Woods valve, a valve that was popular in Britain and other Empire/Commonwealth countries. Honestly, I've never seen a pre-war American ballooner with a confirmed original Presta valve tube. I suppose someone could have crammed a French carrier bike type tube (some of which ran about 2-2.5 inches wide) into an American tire shell because that was what they had on hand. It does strike me as unusual though.

I think a lot of the older schrader tubes (as well as single tube tires) had fully threaded valve stems which makes them look a bit like a presta.

I think you have it - it probably was an old-style, threaded Schrader with locknut. Frankly, I wish new tubes used that design. It helps steady the valve when filling and it helps keep the valve stem straight when installing. It will also look a lot like a Presta will from a distance if you have the old-style tool/cap combo on the top.

Back