When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Preventing Balloon Tires From Drying Further

-

cr250mark

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I have several nice sets of prewar balloon tires. They are in very nice shape but have a tiny bit of cracking. And want to prevent them from getting worse. Looking to see if there is a oil or wax extc to use to keep them pliable and prevent further cracking.
Wanted to make sure Whatever you suggest
Is good for both white and black walls.
Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

Another vote for JD Ultra Guard. Haven't used on whitewalls yet. But the liquid is white so it doesn't add a black color. I'd wipe the white seperate from the black as some color does come off.

Last edited:
this isn't where I got mine but prob a good price (bought mine 3-4 yrs ago $12.50 ish) Think it's 22 oz?http://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-Deere-Ultra-Guard-Tire-and-Rubber-Protection-TY16369.html
Features and benefits
· Rejuvenates old tires and rubber and protects new

· Contains no silicones that inhibit the natural elasticity of rubber

· Soy derivative decreases drying time and increases gloss

· Recommended for vinyl, rubber, vinyl trim, and synthetic rubber surfaces that are exposed to the environment

· Healing of weather damaged surfaces will occur with regular use

· Protects surfaces exposed to direct sunlight

· Non-toxic and non-corrosive 100-percent biodegradable

· Meets all OSHA requirements

Last edited:
I have used it on whitewalls with no ill effects . I have only used it on a few different makes though,mostly Carlisle lightning darts .I would proceed with caution until you test a small spot.

I have used it on whitewalls with no ill effects . I have only used it on a few different makes though,mostly Carlisle lightning darts .I would proceed with caution until you test a small spot.

Thanks Dale ,
Appreciate the heads up.
Trying to maintain a few matching pairs of OG Allstate W/W's
Will take your advice and try in a small area.
Mark

Back