When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar 36? 39? Elgin. Thoughts? Look correct, value? I know the experts are out there!!! Thank you in advance!!!

-
$900 is a bit high for this. $300-$500 and it would be worth messing with. Below are some Elgin examples from the net. Red bike is same frame as your crusty example but without the stand ears or zirc fittings that came later 30's, like 6-8. The other is earlier than 1934 with the slim tank that fits the frame, accessories and 28" wheels. Questioned bike IMO was made to look like an earlier example using good pieces. And no for fork being original as you can see in the pics below.
1606397380387.png

Pre-34 with accessorized helper motor
1606397428386.png

Last edited:
1935 Elgin Oriole. Found this here on the CABE.
100_4660-1.jpg

It was identified as a 1935 because the serial number started with an N. According to the post in the thread, 1935 was the last year for the rain gutter fenders like are on the one you're asking about. I would confirm this elsewhere.

Another 1935. From Dave's Vintage Bikes website

unnamed (5).jpg

Their asking 900 but they might take less all the parts on that bike have the same patina except the headlight and battery can but they might just have better paint so looks like it's been the way it is for a long time .
There's easily over $300 in accessory's on that bike so I think $300 to $500 is a little lite.
Do a little homework in the for sale section and in the search on those parts and the bike itself .
But also agree with clean it up and ride the wheels off it just the way it is .

Back