When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar 36? 39? Elgin. Thoughts? Look correct, value? I know the experts are out there!!! Thank you in advance!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That one is somewhat local to me and I was thinking about picking it up and parting it out for fun but just don't have the time.

Where is "local" to you? I have a '35, '39, and '40. Always room for one more. Looks like a '36 Oriole when I look at illustrations in the "Collectable Elgin JC Higgins........"book. From what I've gathered, that's the first year for the Alemite oiling system - those grease zerks on the bottom bracket.

Last edited:
Klaxon ,teacup light, battery can , Art Deco stem, tool bag ,nice long spring motorbike seat ,rear rack, tank ,
shallow fenders that look to be in good shape with some surface rust .
that's a few hundred in parts alone .
If I lived close it would be mine .
What are they asking for it ?

Looks like a '34 / '35 Elgin Oriole with period correct accessories. The tank that's on it looks nearly identical to the one that's on my '35 Oriole, and while they did not come with tanks from the factory you could order one from the Sears Catalog. I believe that is what my bike and this bike both have.
I would clean it, service it, and leave the accessories on it, as they are part of the bikes story. Idk why some are so quick to want to part out a bike like this, it's cool the way it is, because someone added their own custom touches back in the day. It's not like it has do-dads from the 1970s on it.

Klaxon ,teacup light, battery can , Art Deco stem, tool bag ,nice long spring motorbike seat ,rear rack, tank ,
shallow fenders that look to be in good shape with some surface rust .
that's a few hundred in parts alone .
If I lived close it would be mine .
What are they asking for it ?
They are asking $900.00 curious what you think? Seems a bit high.

Not sure about that fork though not Westfield?
Looks like a '34 / '35 Elgin Oriole with period correct accessories. The tank that's on it looks nearly identical to the one that's on my '35 Oriole, and while they did not come with tanks from the factory you could order one from the Sears Catalog. I believe that is what my bike and this bike both have.
I would clean it, service it, and leave the accessories on it, as they are part of the bikes story. Idk why some are so quick to want to part out a bike like this, it's cool the way it is, because someone added their own custom touches back in the day. It's not like it has do-dads from the 1970s on it.
First off thank you very much!!!

Is it possible to see a picture of your bike?
I totally agree with you I love finding rusted old bikes and bring them back but original. It’s history but I would switch out the neck lol. Also curious of your opinion on the forks? Original?

I say leave as it is, tank looks good on it as well as rest of parts, air it up and go!!!
Started rustoring bikes with my kids when the pandemic started it would get broken down. OA bath, and everything polished and rebuilt. I know some disagree but it’s better than tv and video games all day.

Back