When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Admiral Rebuild

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks everybody for the comments. I'm really having a blast cleaning this one up, I truly feel it's an honor to bring it back and preserve it for all to see. When done this one may replace my '52 Hornet as the one that gets ridden the most, it'll be a tough choice because nothing I've ever ridden rides as nice as that Hornet.

One thing I'm struggling with on this one is tire choice. I've got a set of old Allstate Safety Treads that are in pretty good shape, but are hard enough I'm not sure I want to put them on a rider. Right now I'm leaning towards either white/cream or brick red, but I could be convinced a white wall is what it needs. Then there is just a plain ol black wall that would look good too. I'm a big fan of the Schwalbe Fat Frank's, if there are any other tires I should be looking at please chime in.

Thanks, Jon

You're making nice progress on that bike. Post the serial number and perhaps we can nail down the year.

Got a later start today so not as much done, but progress nontheless.

Got the tank polished up and hung back on.
E378C16185D84AABA4153C45C101D101_zpskijr-1.jpg

First time with a Morrow, I like what I'm seeing so far.

59F0DB49FA8548AE9FC77E3528A2EDA6_zpshuhd-1.jpg

0CB8598CAFF94F119F5FFBEDE239BCFB_zpsymfg-1.jpg

D056E8918DB0469992C4055F43E74D19_zpsq4pi-1.jpg

053615196C2941859E09860CDE3CF8F9_zpsemop-1.jpg

981536D6D83B47F6990D700267431570_zpsxkwz-1.jpg

Might get back to it after dinner.

Jon

Nice work. I believe the Y serial number makes it a 1938.

Probably took a horn-lite, which I've always liked better than the Silver Ray and they're easier on the wallet too.

Last edited:
Nice work. I believe the Y serial number makes it a 1938.

Probably took a horn-lite, which I've always liked better than the Silver Ray and they're easier on the wallet too.

I did a little research and it appears you're correct about the '38, but I think this one had a Silver Ray.
84BD9FA1D15340E99F4EF5CCDE65D9ED_zpsxlis-1.jpg

Cleaned up the rear fender, found some more patriotic decals. Pretty cool. The fenders are the worst part on the bike. The front is really rough, rear has dents, which I've decided to leave since they are just part of this bikes history.
A8C6E59A16B6425897569F3467069EF1_zpseotu-1.jpg

Eagle!
898462DE5520428A8C439F4AC4A1E0BA_zps8s0r-1.jpg

As she sits, the bearings and hub internals will be getting soaked in the parts cleaner at work tomorrow so re greasing should happen tomorrow night. I've ordered Schwalbe cream Fat Frank's, I know not period correct, but they ride amazing and are very good quality.

3D1EB7C6726444298BC7582B9344F04B_zpsuc59-1.jpg

Jon

Like those decals.

The base for the light on your fender is the same for Silver Ray or hornlite. I believe yours had a hornlite based on the wiring. The Silver Ray would have only the two wires coming in through the bolt. Yours appear to also have traces of wires fore and aft of the center hole. This was done on the hornlite to run power back to the horn which was inaccessible from the center mounting hole containing the wires to the battery. Also your tank doesn't appear to have a horn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 180
Like those decals.

The base for the light on your fender is the same for Silver Ray or hornlite. I believe yours had a hornlite based on the wiring. The Silver Ray would have only the two wires coming in through the bolt. Yours appear to also have traces of wires fore and aft of the center hole. This was done on the hornlite to run power back to the horn which was inaccessible from the center mounting hole containing the wires to the battery. Also your tank doesn't appear to have a horn.

This is very good infomation! Thank you. It now all makes sense, there were quite a bit of wires inside the tank, more than needed for a light. I am learning, this is my first prewar men's Schwinn, have only messed with postwar stuff to this point and those are a lot easier to figure out what's what. Now I know what I need to look for to complete this one.

Thanks again,
Jon

I will say I've been building bikes since I was about 9 and this was the first one I've tore down that didn't have factory grease still in it!

Back