When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PreWar Balloon Tire Electric Conversion Kit?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soundbox

Look Ma, No Hands!
Anybody have recommendations on how to convert prewar bikes with electric peddle assist capability?

PreWar CWC 1.jpg

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

• Love
Reactions: JLF
No I don't. I do remember there was a good group of Canadians at the Iron Ranch every summer that had some cool rides, both electric and gas powered. I think they were from Vancouver.
Shawn M.

Haven't done it , but i have learned that its best to invest in best battery and higher power ( not 33v , 44volt or above)

But I do think it would be cool to do, for example power assist would be a great way to put step thru / ladies, vintage bikes into everyday use again : lots of room to attach components

-There is online e bike kit conversion company who claims to have the best battery technology , and can provide a turn key front wheel drive to whatever wheel spec you need ......they lace their machinery to standard wheel sizes and send you the whole wheel....... with a turn key controller ..... (this avoids a rear wheel chain involvement) sorry i dont have the name now .... but they are unique because run like a tech start up ......and quality convenience focused , visible / transparent .......not a sketchy ebay kit with no customer service, or way to reach them again.

of course that's not so gonna look so period authentic, so you will might lean toward lacing a generator/drive hub to your prewar rim

At one time I did attemt to repair / replace a modern eZIP ebike which needed parts replaced and a charger ...... tracking down the original parts was a nightmare ........... ended up with a PO box and a third party working out of a storage unit who spoke no English ......so i learned .....not all ebay/ amazon kits are worth buying , if you pursue , i would recommend researching best battery and component reliability reviews ......

i see lots of people selling there non working ebike projects : "needs works / needs a new battery or no charger ... etc etc ... " folks I have spoken to emphasize not trying low power/underpowered setups that atre a cheaper price point.

(in the same manner as obsolete power tools .... when battery fails its not cost effective to replace ..... )

I too would Love to see someone who has done it post theirs !

Yes please post your bikes! I have also been thinking of the simplest way to do this. A tanked bike was done by American Vintage Bicycle Supply in the 2017 Rat Rod Bike build-off that was impressive. It was really well done, best one yet I have seen. Killer details so... love it.
1591983794413.png

But for any bike, put a strong removeable rack on the back of the bike and buy an electric rear hub with the controller/battery alll in a pack that you can just strap to the rack wired to the back hub and bars.

Last edited:
"mike j" on here pointed me to hilltopperbikes.com and as luck would have it, they are local too!! After corresponding with their support team, they have a FAQ section titled "Will it fit my bike?"

https://hilltopperbikes.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Looks like the Sprinter Electric Bike Kit for $549 will do the trick for me (16 mph/12+ miles). Also, there are many youtube videos that go over installation options (like this one:
).

At some point in near future, I am going to do it on one of the bikes above (or new rat rod project). Once complete, I'll post on here. I truly believe that this would open up all kinds of new markets.

I love these old bikes and want to ride them vs. just look at them. However, I'm not 15 anymore and need some assist going up hills :)

p.s. Check out these two bros in Poland who are rolling out a boardtrack racer e-bike: https://kosynier.eu/vintage-electric-bike-kosynier-delux/

BAD ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just converted this 1941 Rollfast Roamer into a BoardTrack Racer with electric motor front hub. It has a variable speed throttle which tops about 15mph and distance has range of 10 to 20 miles dependent on how much pedal assist is used.

It's a blast to ride!!! :p

IMG-3379.jpg

IMG-3382.jpg

IMG-3383.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome looking conversion! Can you elaborate on what conversion kit you used and especially provide some detail about the front fork? Your conversion is an inspiring one.

Back