When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Bicycle Headlight Advice

-

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everybody! I have a question. I am doing a restoration of an early "Balloon Tire" bicycle, a 1935 Colson Rover. I have this 1920s-30s Motobike headlight shown in the photographs I plan on wiring up {I also have the dry-cell telephone battery canister}. The lamp is unbranded. What I am unsure of, is how do you mount this light. What type of bracket is this, and where does it mount to? The bracket/hardware is articulating in nature, and some of it looks factory, and some looks makeshift. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

Kinda looks like it's a car accessory, to clamp to a window or door frame.
Hi! I suppose that is certainly possible. I am inclined to think not though, as it is rather small, and it looks quite a bit different than a lot of lights used on 20's cars; like accessory cowl lights or spot lights, or things like that. This lamp, and its lens, appear more slightly built than early accessory car lamps from those days. I am pretty certain that it is in fact a 1920s bicycle electric lamp from its appearance, but the clamp is still puzzling. Thanks!

Looks cool! Can you take that mount off and use the stem bolt to mount it?
Yes, I've seen some old headlights that mount to the stem bolt, and I reckon that could be an option. I'm starting to wonder, even if it is a car accessory, I might just fabricate a new bracket for it to mount to like, the handlbars or someplace like that. Given that, aside from the mounting bracket it is identical in every respect to a 1920s motobike headlight. I'll have to keep brainstorming a bit.

I was thinking remove this bolt, and the bracket, and put the stem bolt through what's left to mount it.
Screenshot_20190320-183554.png

Maybe get it working first. If my father had it laying around in the garage and I was a kid in the 30's it would be on my bike! Car accessory or not. Good luck, post up a picture when you have it on!

I was thinking remove this bolt, and the bracket, and put the stem bolt through what's left to mount it.

Maybe get it working first. If my father had it laying around in the garage and I was a kid in the 30's it would be on my bike! Car accessory or not. Good luck, post up a picture when you have it on!

Oh Yeah!, that looks like a good idea. I will be sure to post some pictures once I get it all squared away. Thank You!

Back