When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Claud Butler Track Bike Update Photos

-

antque

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here is the progress on the prewar Claud Butler, I started with a frame with 2 coats of yellow and, and found all the original decals and finish underneath. still have a ways to go but thought you might like to see the progress, thanks for looking

Resized_20211111_102117.jpeg

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

Exactly my question as well. Whatever you used was exactly the right stuff and the right touch. If you're recovering good decals and pinstripes under the over-paint, you're doing exactly the right thing (that and the person who painted it didn't do any prep, but that's another matter).

I tested 5 different strippers to see how each worked, I narrowed down to 2, one for taking the heavy top coat off and the second for taking the light second coat off, I used acetone and Q tips and cotton balls to remove the thin first coat of yellow paint and was careful not to go too far and remove the original, long process but worth it.

What is it with English bikes and yellow paint? 🙁

This is my Dawes I'd like to identify, so getting the yellow off has been the last resort plan for a while. Your post inspires me to just go do it. 👍

Narrowed it down to late seventies Mirage or Double Blue:

026d.jpg

What is it with English bikes and yellow paint? 🙁

This is my Dawes I'd like to identify, so getting the yellow off has been the last resort plan for a while. Your post inspires me to just go do it. 👍

Narrowed it down to late seventies Mirage or Double Blue:

View attachment 1544387
-----

😉

lug pattern appears BOCAMA Competition 83 -

crown appears it could be one of the NERVEX Professionals...but other makers did crowns of this sort as well...

-----

Back