When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar CWC Rack and Guard

-

Demzie

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Maybe not both, maybe both. I guess it depends what you have and what you're asking for it. I think the correct rack would have had a light pod at the end (6 hole) and the guard a Wing style (3 feather)
The owner before me offered these parts (which may have been the correct versions?) When I bought it but the guard was repainted and the rack had Definitely seem better structural days, though the price did fairly reflect these aspects, I thought it best to seek out better conditions but still crustina to match.

Looking for rusty/bare metal and rusty.

This is for a Double Bar Roadster.
(1937-'38)

Thanks Fellas.

Erin

Only full picture I have right now of my actual bike. Recently acquired from the Santi Collection.
Rookie mistake leaving it out of the original ad.
Thanks for the "Coulda Had a V8" knock on the head there, @CWCMAN

Very cool bike and the price was right as well.

Please post the serial number that's found under the bottom bracket to pin point a year.

This bike looks like a good candidate for an OA bath. Some decent paint and graphics could be hiding underneath the surface rust.

Unfortunately, I do not have many catalog images on Western Flyers but I will say that the correct chain guard would be the standard early style feather guard. The top edge of the chain guard should be 90 degrees rather the the later more rounded over style.

It's also possible that your bike never came equipped with a tank, rack or chain guard. That is not to say that your rainbow style frame would not accept a tank and the other parts but rather, it may not have come equipped from the factory with those parts. A stripped down version if you will.

Check the top bar for any indication of marred or paint rubs where the hanging style brackets would have been.

If your bike came equipped with a rack, it could be the early 6 hole or the slightly later 9 hole rack depending on the year of your bike. Also check for any marred or paint rubs on the lower down tube and the rear fork area where the chain guard would have attached.

He's in search of a part that you have from this very bike. Wondering why he didn't get it from the beginning. His search should be over for the rack.

Very cool bike and the price was right as well.

Please post the serial number that's found under the bottom bracket to pin point a year.

This bike looks like a good candidate for an OA bath. Some decent paint and graphics could be hiding underneath the surface rust.

Unfortunately, I do not have many catalog images on Western Flyers but I will say that the correct chain guard would be the standard early style feather guard. The top edge of the chain guard should be 90 degrees rather the the later more rounded over style.

It's also possible that your bike never came equipped with a tank, rack or chain guard. That is not to say that your rainbow style frame would not accept a tank and the other parts but rather, it may not have come equipped from the factory with those parts. A stripped down version if you will.

Check the top bar for any indication of marred or paint rubs where the hanging style brackets would have been.

If your bike came equipped with a rack, it could be the early 6 hole or the slightly later 9 hole rack depending on the year of your bike. Also check for any marred or paint rubs on the lower down tube and the rear fork area where the chain guard would have attached.

View attachment 1195191

View attachment 1195189

View attachment 1195205

View attachment 1195208
I appreciate all the info. It didnt dawn on me until you said something that some of these weren't a "Deluxe" model with all the extra additions and it very well may have been one or a few in combination of parts if even those off the factory floor. I'd say @Rust_Trader 's rack that he kindly posted below given the make, model and mutual crust (and underlying red paint in areas) was most likely correct and original to the bike, but to answer your question, as mentioned in the initial ad post, it was in pretty bad shape, despite the price being very reasonable and realistic to that aspect.
The attachment point in the front to the non chain side seat post was broken, the canister that holds the unobtainium light at the end was pretty banged up from the years it had before us and the way the metal had this oxidizing effect on the old pint, leaving this ripple/bubble effect behind and not evenly graining it with the rusting like the test of the bike left it seeming a bit out of place when compared.
The fit of course looks superb. Even and balanced. A good length (as it should for being a likely original to the bike), but save for that, I'd be in a lot more work for the effect I'm after in overall aesthetic than I have the stuff for (including an OA bath). I live in a one bedroom apartment and though I do have a garage I maintain as a workshop for repairs, fixes, dent control..rebuilds and so forth, the landlord in their words would not appreciate a kiddie pool filled with OA being utilized in the complex which I get, but I am careful with my Chemicals.
I never took to the OA much just the same despite having several in passing years that probably could have benefit, I like the age and the grit of the brown weathering.
hate saying Patina, as I feel its overused to describe bikes if you hadn't noticed I'm skipping around that term..
All in all, I'll keep it generally the same as it looks now, with a few parts swapped for comfort and personal appeal. (Crossbrace bars, another reflector, a little candy for the handlebars.. ) but I got it in part because I like rust but I also like a structurally sound bike. The lines and details of this are nice and though there may be some original beauty under all the crust, I'm comfortable saving that as a time capsule for later maybe. For now, I'm happy how it is and I was more than happy with the price for all that was included (and offered in addition if I so chose)

The guard I'm glad you cleared up, I wasnt sure about the big wing "three feather" that came on it despite filling in a gap nicely, so that answers that and I'll continue to look for both what could be the correct wing guard style and rack in a crusty bare metal but straight condition.

Thanks again, @CWCMAN & @Rust_Trader

Erin

Looks like a Colson.
My sentiments exactly for the ones that Do have the tanks in them. I was offered one very similar that just sold here recently that had a Colson Snaptank on it the owner said fit like it was made for it.
As neat as I think that is, I like the shape of the bars too much to do a tank original or non to the bike at this time .

Back