When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Cycletruck chrome chaingaurd?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Lookn4bikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
The catalogs I have seen show the prewar Cycletrucks came with a chrome chaingaurd but most of the pictures from internet searches they are painted. I have looked at many images of both original and restored bikes. Appears that the chrome ones are less common. Mine is a 1940 and had an aftermarket one on it.

Catalog art is often a bit away from reality - I have not yet owned a pre-war CT with a chrome guard, and have only seen a couple. I have a few of these, and bought a chrome repop guard from Dan Venturi (Bicycle Bones). He sells the painted one as well. I think I have one of each on the shelf in the shed. Right now, I am still fighting with a computer replacement and most of my more current reference stuff is in the broken one. Dan is on eBay - and you can search his store there (Bicycle Bones)
REC

I agree with the art work being off. This image of the 1940 catalog shows the stem backwards. However it does state chrome plated guard.

I bought both styles from Dan. Just trying to decide if I should age the chrome or try to match my paint.

Either would be a challenge.

I gave it a lite bead blast hoping to get a peppering of the chrome. Then Hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and salt mix. The overspray created a "paste" as it dried so I scooped it up and smeared it on the speed up the process.

I gotta tell ya-that guard looks fantastic! Nice work. Nothing looks worse than a fresh shiny piece of chrome on a somewhat 'patina'd' bike. Finding just the right piece to keep the originality of a bike flowing can take years of searching.

Back