When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Cycletruck Dimension Question

-

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Wondering if anyone has a pre-war Cycletruck apart right now? I need the steering tube length for stock fork on an 18" model. Measured from top of crown to top of steering tube. I need to add length on a damaged 1939 fork to return it to stock

Thanks,

Nate

In reality, there are two size fork lengths. 18:" and 20", and the short - long headtube difference is dependent on how much the headtube rises above the upper frame tube, making two different steering tube lengths.
Corrected the above -This one sounds like it is a long headtube 18" frame. If so, it carries the same length steering tube fork as was seen on through '67. The later forks can be used with this by very carefully cutting the bungs off the later model fork blades, and then filing the blades smooth and using the prewar stand nuts (attaching to the axle) and the prewar stand. I have the same situation on one of the others I have awaiting re-do. So there are actually two forks as the long and short headtube makes the determination on which you have. the spacing between the headset cups is the same on both 18" and 20" frames - the difference in length of the steering tube is the difference in the height of the headtube above the upper frame tube @Freqman1

Wondering if anyone has a pre-war Cycletruck apart right now? I need the steering tube length for stock fork on an 18" model. Measured from top of crown to top of steering tube. I need to add length on a damaged 1939 fork to return it to stock

Thanks,

Nate

I have both frames and forks here, and will see about measuring them tomorrow. Do you have a photo posted of the one you're doing? If you're having to add length, the fork is probably the same length steering tube that was used on through '67. If they were in the house, I'd measure one now, but they are in the shop. I'll do that tomorrow. I can look at a photo to be sure of what you have...
Corrected errors in first response.... (need more coffee)
REC
@Krakatoa

Last edited:
Back