When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar fender bomb

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So the originals are hollow, that means these will be lighter in weight than a solid repop “witch” bomb.
Therefore someone COULD weigh an original and a repop and get an idea of the weight differences for comparison ?

Nah, it’ll never happen

View attachment 1108562

Super easy to just drill through the body when the repos were made before the reflector install to make em' hollow..
who knows....that could have been done too.
: (
Even the Patina isn't a sure bet....I've seen these things distressed pretty believable.

oh the slippery slope of collecting this stuff...

With these portable iphone attachment bore scopes, anyone could inspect the cavity of an original and compare it to a “super easy” drilled out repop cavity.
You CAN see how the hollow cavity profile of an original bomb in this BLUEPRINT of a Fender Bomb was part of the casting process and NOT a drilled out “super easy” profile.

So yeah, a “super easy” drilled out repop will never be as light as an original as you can see a perfect taper and wall thickness that would not be duplicated by a “super easy” drill bit.

250f0a2aa44f1acffab479800548a3da.jpg

the last version made was nearly impossible to tell (great right? soooo many people I know got burned
on these stupid things)
One sure thing is patina...and the originals were hollow in the body..
remove the base...shine a flash light in the hole on the body the base mounts to.

These days it's almost better to buy these from a Non bike collector who just "found"
the ornament at an estate sale, antique store etc.

There's a whole lotta "shruggin" going on with sellers moving these along..."I dunno!"
lame buyer beware scenarios.

Like little land mines dropped in our hobby to blow up in peoples faces...love it.

NOT!

the last version made was nearly impossible to tell (great right? soooo many people I know got burned
on these stupid things)
One sure thing is patina...and the originals were hollow in the body..
remove the base...shine a flash light in the hole on the body the base mounts to.

These days it's almost better to buy these from a Non bike collector who just "found"
the ornament at an estate sale, antique store etc.

There's a whole lotta "shruggin" going on with sellers moving these along..."I dunno!"
lame buyer beware scenarios.

Like little land mines dropped in our hobby to blow up in peoples faces...love it.

NOT!

D279ADD1-E433-4515-885C-135F37CBA64D.jpeg

F2260EB7-E008-46B2-91D8-1D2CE14EEDD7.jpeg

53C41F75-C015-4B9D-ACFE-AE08C224C3F5.jpeg

CE94B1E6-7E6A-42EE-9E6D-9930ED2DFF48.jpeg

D65B65CC-8BDA-4275-93DD-B811EE670D59.jpeg

2213FAE9-2DCD-425B-8BE6-DD165D466F55.jpeg

remove the base.....shiny a light maybe with magnifying glass assist in the hole....see
if you can determine the cavity...

just checked with a basic flashlight... pretty easy to see the cavity...

Is the script supposed to be that deep? I remember mine being lightly etched
When they made the mold for the originals, how did they slip it off once the metal cooled if it has that lip for the mounting screw?
If you know the mass of an original, a new one can have mass removed to have equal weights. The shape and the density is something else that should be considered.

Well, the density should be the same. Unless there’s a significant change to the composition of the alloy. What are these made out of?

Back