When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar forebrake help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

nightrider

Finally riding a big boys bike
No luck in the wanted section. Also looked at the 4 page thread on these. Too much info, I'm still confused.
I need to figure out the hardware that I'm missing. Can a New Departure axel be substituted? And the order of installation.
Pictures below of what I have.
Note: I have 2 nuts, 1 washer, 1 bearing and 2 cones.
Also note: no letter or offset rivets inside drum. No patent pending, and has part # on pads.

KIMG0341.JPG

KIMG0342.JPG

KIMG0343.JPG

KIMG0344.JPG

KIMG0345.JPG

KIMG0346.JPG

KIMG0347.JPG

Well finally took mine apart, a couple unwelcome surprises, bad race on one side and super bad cage aswell. From what i’ve heard most people run lose bearings with gear oil instead of cages. I think both of us are missing the top hat washer as well which are available on ebay

1st generation Fore Brake.
New Departure model W axle kit is interchangeable.
The cable comes down the truss rod on these early big brakes, so the lever on that first brake plate needs to be flipped around.

I think I know now! Thought that was built in! Thanks for all the help! One last question: What goes between the brake plate and the fork (a locknut and washer) or something else?
Johnny

Since I’m running ND cones, I flip the hat washer to the outside and that’s it on that side...I don’t run any lock nuts on them.. never once have had any problems. If I had the original cones, then I’d probably run a lock nut on the non brake side. But when you are getting everything bolted up on the fork, you will want to engage the brake so it centers the pads inside the hub and then tighten the nut. This helps with the rubbing that you sometimes hear and it’s also listed in the schwinn shop manual as a thing to do haha.

DD3EA8A3-AB21-42DA-8873-8167F976B905.jpeg

Back