Prewar franken bike bike help.....

This ad disappears when logged in

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Oct 16, 2008
Seattle, United States
This popped up and I’m suppose to slow bike purchases but oh well here it is... it’s got original yellow paint and I believe schwinn but this bugs me..military using schwinns never heard of it.. it could have a schwinn fork applied on it later....franker bike...I’m .not sure..... theres a brass plaque on it with u.s.n.y.p.s on it. Looks like it was made for it......a strange bracket on the goose neck.... any opinions on what it might be...I’m thinking military but not sure... it’s weird. .....Any help is appreciated... thanks
3C8859F8-03F1-4795-A9A5-C94CCCD5274B.jpeg

F0962FD0-CBD0-4371-BA51-E3EFCDAE58D6.jpeg

9D2BACC4-15B6-469C-9C13-392E82BD5FCE.jpeg

28004278-4A22-426F-A75B-905D7AB96281.jpeg

AE5BC3B7-87CA-41FB-9DC8-05BCFA1050F3.jpeg

Krakatoa

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 12, 2016
Warren, RI, United States
Great find leave that paint! It reminds me of a mustard yellow painted Schwinn Spitfire I had a while back that was a plant bike at Electric Boat in Groton Connecticut

Brutuskend

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Apr 3, 2011
Eugene / Springfield Oregon
grumble mumble
I was trying to buy that bike for the last week and the seller never got back to me. That's what I get for just texting him I guess. :(
Not the NYC delivery bike he thought it was...

Archie Sturmer

Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Puget banned the bikes in the industrial area because of too many accidents riding over the railroad tracks, and crane tracks.
Cool - a work site with railroads passing through it and had/has its own locomotive too.
And its own busses and bus-stops.

Last edited:

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Oct 16, 2008
Seattle, United States
Oh yea keeping the cool yellow for sure. I can just imagine this bike was on one of the ships that was bombed on Pearl Harbor transporting personel

Archie Sturmer

Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
The shipyard bike, like many bikes, was a means of quick transportation, where automobiles and parking was not so convenient, such as dockside or pier side. It is a common misconception that the shipyard workers actually rode their bicycles "on" navy ships - (in like the Clint Easwood movie on decommissioned amphibious carriers with ramps). Just think how inconvenient it would be to lug a bicycle up flights of stairs, an then walk it across the gangway (brow) with all of the other shipyard workers and sailors onboarding and offboarding, just to get to the quarterdeck and have nowhere to ride. No, it would be more convenient for the shipyard supervisor or team-leader to leave his bike at the pier, securely locked in a bike rack. Also of great convenience, would be a front basket to carry tools, tool bags, and smaller parts, from the distant workshop (pipe shop, electrical shop, etc.) or the supply building, all the way to the ship at the opposite end of the shipyard. Why would a shipyard worker be joy riding a bike on a ship when he had work on the ship to do.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture