When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Hiawatha

-
Got some supplies, so maybe I’ll have some time to get work done on the Hiawatha this weekend. Also need to get to the small bicycle swap on Saturday in Whittier. See if I can find a few things I need

Not much new to report yet. Got my hubs cleaned and serviced. They are ready to go into a set of cream powder coated drop centers. A sneak peak of the wheels...
1F409659-E79A-43A1-B73F-452ECE4AB01B.png

5E5ECBAA-0CF4-4CA2-9DF4-536166AC35DE.jpeg

Not much new to report today. My wheels are laced up and ready to be trued. But I didn’t have time to grab photos. So, until I can, think black war time hubs with shiny stainless spokes in cream powder coated drop centers.
Still have some more filling to do on the frame dents, and some minor work to be done on my fenders. Then it’s paint time!
I’m looking forward to seeing some paint on this bike!

Got a little cleaning done on the cranks and sprocket that were on the bike when I got it. And have a couple questions about them. Cranks look original, but is the sprocket correct for the bike? And if not, what chain ring would be correct?
FE01C33A-FA99-4B46-998E-1EC99BEB2A55.jpeg

78E27205-6C4A-4E4F-BC8E-6439A6AA0E7E.jpeg

345DFE15-8F3D-4621-9144-09F1F5B0E0E8.jpeg

Got a little cleaning done on the cranks and sprocket that were on the bike when I got it. And have a couple questions about them. Cranks look original, but is the sprocket correct for the bike? And if not, what chain ring would be correct?
View attachment 1050852

View attachment 1050853

View attachment 1050854
Shelby outsourced chain rings at times, I believe yours is original. They were made by Murray, but are slightly different, note the first row of cutouts on Scribble's all Murray built bike above, they're bigger and more oval shaped. Shelby more commonly used Wald 'swirl' rings on it's middle and lower end models.

Thank you for the info. I shall keep it on the bike. It cleaned up nice enough to leave it anyhow after I swapped sides anyhow ;)

After building the cream wheels with the black war hubs I ran across a set of chrome drop centers with New Departure hubs.

So now I’m wondering if they would be correct for the Hiawatha or not? If so, I may just use them and save the powder coated wheels for a different project

Back