When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar LaSalle DX. What is incorrect on it?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Brace holders?

Nice bike Spitfire- But I do not think brace holders on the forks was on DX's. What name is on the badge?

Yes, you will find dx models with truss forks. A standard non truss was the norm but truss forks were used as well.

Until you see the bike close up its hard to tell. I've learned one thing about old Schwinns, anything was possible. If the customer had the money, Schwinn would do it. Either way, paint looks incredibly cool and worthy of saving! The bike looks pretty original to me. Post pics when/if you get it.

Let's see what color primer is under the paint. Certainly with an original paint bike like that there should be evidence of primer in areas where scratches and wear are present. I don't question it being original paint, I just have never seen that type of paint schematics done on any Schwinn or cycle supply dx and I have seen a lot of them. Some rare ones at that as well.

Lights

Delta lights are most common and would be three ribbed although you may find a delta smooth top on some as well. EA lights are five ribbed or smooth. Deltas were mostly used.

Ok, im going to call the guy tom. about the wheels. If he was right and they are incorrect would a set of plated double drops be right? Also Morrow or ND Could i pull off black outs? I always thought they were cool. Thanks guys for all the info.

ABout the paint. Ive been collecting and dealing high end prewar toys for 15 years. I have an incredible eye for paint as well as a horde of blacklights. I will let you know my findings. It seems through my research alot of late prewar LaSalle and Cycle supply co. bikes show up with bizarre factoy paint schemes. I also think the scheme is odd, but thats alot of pinstriping for someone to fake just to repaint an "old" bike in the 50's or so.

The bike looks perfect and cool to me. I think it has been in it's current state for quite a while. Leave it be.

I am not ruling out the possibility of it being a factory paint job. what I am trying to "help you out with" is the fact that I, myself(A COLLECTOR OF RARE PAINT SCHEME PREWAR SCHWINN DX AND MOTORBIKES), have never yet come across this type of usage before on any models. You may have something there, but before we say it is true, lets rule out all of the possibilities by looking at the facts and history. I could very well be wrong but lets see another one like it. And, it does take a lot of work to repaint or restore something like that. especially to make it look professional of "fake it"

Ok, The bike came today. I am fairly certain the paint is original. Pinstripes look correct and there is a red oxide primer underneath visible in the chips. No other colors. The primer looks a little more red on the rear dropouts but not any were else. Patina matches on all parts. I havnt gotten a loop out to see if it is laquer or enamel. My guess is enamel. So now i need the correct seat and pedals. ANy suggestions. Oh yeah, the crank is stamped 41'.

Back