When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Lightweight

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RustyHornet

I live for the CABE
Alrighty folks, this is my first “real” lightweight. It’s been years since I’ve had a 60s-70’s lightweight. Always been a balloon tire and stingray guy, but have kept my eye out for the right early skinny tire.

Picked this up last night, so far after reading a little on here, seems to fit in the ‘40-‘41 range, I’ll verify later on. I’ve been eye balling this one for months, finally decided to take the plunge. I will be removing the red paint to reveal the original maroon, looks to be in decent shape so far.

It’s fairly untouched. Tires and tubes have been replaced. I need to source one grip and the correct front chain guard clamp.

It will take me a little bit to get to this one, I’ve got 3 bikes that need done before it. I will say, this if the first bike that I’ve bought in a LONG time that hasn’t needed anything but air in the tires to ride. And it rides sooooooo well. Really love this bike, can see it becoming a favorite rider.

Compliments my ‘39 DX really well.

Nice, Hope I'll find an old 30's-40's lightweight one day....
I cant remember that Ive seen "other" badged Schwinn lightweights.
Something I noticed that seems unusual is that the rear fender has two different kinds of braces on it.
Great shape, great score

Nice, Hope I'll find an old 30's-40's lightweight one day....
I cant remember that Ive seen "other" badged Schwinn lightweights.
Something I noticed that seems unusual is that the rear fender has two different kinds of braces on it.
Great shape, great score
You know, I didn’t even see that yet! I’ll have to look at it, but it kinda looks like the lower brace has been replaced!

Rear dropouts look like they wouldn't fit prewar typical style ... Im not a lightweight guy but always trying to learn ...

Rear dropouts on these started around '40.
The wire braces were prewar and bar were postwar. If you see two different styles that is usually because the wire was replaced at a later point.
Will be cool to get all that red paint off and see how much you can keep of the maroon below.
Looks complete and original. I don't see any swapped out parts other than the fender brace.

I'd almost be inclined to try to mechanically rather than chemically remove that spray paint. I did that once with an old Columbia bike where the previous owner had used house paint but not prepped. I was able to gradually chip off the over-paint with a putty knife.

This is one of my least favorite jobs, but what can make it much easier is if the person who painted the bike just went at it with cheap paint and did not bother to do any prep (e.g. sanding the original paint, etc.). It looks as if the paint has chipped away in a couple spots, which leads me to wonder if it was just a paint-over job and that the original maroon paint underneath is not that bad. But you'll see, I guess. You won't know until you really get into the job of removing the over-paint. I prefer mechanical chip-away if I can do it. I resort to chemicals only if it won't just chip-away. [Well used to - I am pretty much convinced I won't do this kind of work anymore, it's a pain to do].

The chemical you pick will depend on what the paint is. Some respond to paint thinner, some to Xylene, some to oven cleaner, some to acetone, etc. But hopefully it will chip away.

Is that rear reflector original? That seems to go missing on a lot of these bikes. And at least they didn't paint the head set or the badge. Nice find!

Last edited:
Rear dropouts on these started around '40.
The wire braces were prewar and bar were postwar. If you see two different styles that is usually because the wire was replaced at a later point.
Will be cool to get all that red paint off and see how much you can keep of the maroon below.
Looks complete and original. I don't see any swapped out parts other than the fender brace.
I am greatly looking forward to stripping the red paint off and hopefully locating a correct fender brace, one grip and the front chain guard clamp.

I'd almost be inclined to try to mechanically rather than chemically remove that spray paint. I did that once with an old Columbia bike where the previous owner had used house paint but not prepped. I was able to gradually chip off the over-paint with a putty knife.

This is one of my least favorite jobs, but what can make it much easier is if the person who painted the bike just went at it with cheap paint and did not bother to do any prep (e.g. sanding the original paint, etc.). It looks as if the paint has chipped away in a couple spots, which leads me to wonder if it was just a paint-over job and that the original maroon paint underneath is not that bad. But you'll see, I guess. You won't know until you really get into the job of removing the over-paint. I prefer mechanical chip-away if I can do it. I resort to chemicals only if it won't just chip-away. [Well used to - I am pretty much convinced I won't do this kind of work anymore, it's a pain to do].

The chemical you pick will depend on what the paint is. Some respond to paint thinner, some to Xylene, some to oven cleaner, some to acetone, etc. But hopefully it will chip away.
I am going to go after it with a light touch. I’m extremely concerned about the decals that are on the downtube and seat tube. I usually use oven cleaner, I will first attack the red on the chrome bits and see how that responds. Then probably the underside of the fenders, they painted that part too.

Is that rear reflector original? That seems to go missing on a lot of these bikes. And at least they didn't paint the head set or the badge. Nice find!
I’m not sure on the reflector! I was excited to see it looks like the badge was taped off or removed when it got painted. Funny, they painted right over the brake cable lol.

Back