When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Lightweight

-
I performed a similar paint removal on my 41 Schwinn lightweight.
24D6FEAF-275F-429A-BC32-AED906626A9C.jpeg
E0220588-881F-4241-848C-33A10ECA7C90.jpeg

Lacquer thinner and lots of gentle elbow grease. I‘m glad I did it but like @SirMike1983 said, I will never do this again.

Your bike is going to be cool and ride great when you get it rolling. Lightweights fly. Don‘t give up.

I performed a similar paint removal on my 41 Schwinn lightweight.
View attachment 1379096View attachment 1379097
Lacquer thinner and lots of gentle elbow grease. I‘m glad I did it but like @SirMike1983 said, I will never do this again.

Your bike is going to be cool and ride great when you get it rolling. Lightweights fly. Don‘t give up.
That is gorgeous! Our bikes must have had the same owner with the same can of farm implement red lol. I won’t give up, stubbornness is a feature not a fault in this case.

Like @rennfaron pointed out the wire mudguard braces get replaced often on these bikes. The wire ones are pretty fragile when you disconnect them from the frame, and break at the hole for the mudguard mounting bolt. Be careful when you try getting all the paint off them.

We‘ve seen a few other New Worlds that have been non-Schwinn badged, but none with your Chicago Cycle Supply badge. My New World is BFG badged. We keep a running list of prewar and early post war New Worlds here. Do have any pics of the serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket?

Like @rennfaron pointed out the wire mudguard braces get replaced often on these bikes. The wire ones are pretty fragile when you disconnect them from the frame, and break at the hole for the mudguard mounting bolt. Be careful when you try getting all the paint off them.

We‘ve seen a few other New Worlds that have been non-Schwinn badged, but none with your Chicago Cycle Supply badge. My New World is BFG badged. We keep a running list of prewar and early post war New Worlds here. Do have any pics of the serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket?
Thanks for the heads up! I may end up making a replacement brace if I can’t find a correct one.

It’s neat to know that this one is kinda unusual with its head badge, normally when I get a bike it’s just got a common badge on it. I looked at the serial the other day, but with the red paint, couldn’t read it right away. I will dig into that later..

I took it for a ride last night, be a shame to take it apart! Rides so nice, but I need to get fresh grease in it and the paint cleaned up. It’s gonna be a looker I think!

I will get this one posted over there when I get a better look at it!

Reactions: Miq
Alrighty folks, this is my first “real” lightweight. It’s been years since I’ve had a 60s-70’s lightweight. Always been a balloon tire and stingray guy, but have kept my eye out for the right early skinny tire.

Picked this up last night, so far after reading a little on here, seems to fit in the ‘40-‘41 range, I’ll verify later on. I’ve been eye balling this one for months, finally decided to take the plunge. I will be removing the red paint to reveal the original maroon, looks to be in decent shape so far.

It’s fairly untouched. Tires and tubes have been replaced. I need to source one grip and the correct front chain guard clamp.

It will take me a little bit to get to this one, I’ve got 3 bikes that need done before it. I will say, this if the first bike that I’ve bought in a LONG time that hasn’t needed anything but air in the tires to ride. And it rides sooooooo well. Really love this bike, can see it becoming a favorite rider.

View attachment 1378500

View attachment 1378501

View attachment 1378502

View attachment 1378503

View attachment 1378504

View attachment 1378505

View attachment 1378506

View attachment 1378507

View attachment 1378508

View attachment 1378509

View attachment 1378510

View attachment 1378511